Monday, March 02, 2015

old block revisited . . .

Waaaay back when, I got a wild hair and for about three weeks, played around with Barbara Brackman's Civil War Sampler quilt blocks, as they were posted on her blog.  I happened to catch weeks #33, #35, and #36 .... and then I forget what happened--maybe a foot surgery?--and that was it for me on the Civil War blocks.  But I'd faithfully uploaded the three I'd done to the Flickr photo stream for the group, and lo and behold, several months later, I had an e-mail from Ms. Brackman herself, asking if she could use the photo of one of my blocks in her book, Civil War Sampler.  Uh, yes!  That was a no-brainer for me! (I blogged about it here and here.)
So, back to the present, I stumbled across that block (Block #36 - Kentucky Crossroads) in the transition from RV to Nook. It was kinda sad, just seeing it in a box of unfinished stuff.  It really bothered me.  So after some thought, I've decided I really need to do something with that published block! I'll never do the entire quilt (I'm just being honest), but that one block deserves preserving. I mean, it's sorta famous, right?? LOL!  So I thought I'd set it, do some really fancy, pretty quilting on it, notate it's page in the book (of course!) and make it a candidate for my mini quilt stand! Here are some setting ideas I've come up with so far . . .
So on point or straight?  
Use the original fabrics to set it, or use different solids to make the original block stand out?

This is just another example of how EQ is so cool!  I was able to take a photo of my block and break it up into 2" squares of each print . . . and import it into my fabric library. So the first image up there is an actual photo of my block.  The rest are EQ generated images.  Pretty nifty, eh?!?  

Anyway, that's the extent of my design wall this week.  What are *you* working on??  Linking up with Patchwork Times today!

:)

11 noted . . .:

Barbara said...

I love what you've done here. I have EQ, but I continue to be too distracted by actual sewing to sit still and learn to use it. I'm envious of those of you who have longer attention spans than I.

Needled Mom said...

That's a great block! I like both settings equally. I think I like the original fabrics rather than the new ones.

Janet O. said...

Wow, a published quilter. Look at you!! : )
I think my favorite layout is in your group of 9 EQ designs, in the lower left corner. Just what I think I would do, but you have many great possibilities there!

Libby in TN said...

That is way cool! I didn't know EQ could do such things. (I only recently discovered their expanded fabric library!) Fascinating how it can become Shoofly when set on point. Yes, it definitely deserves to be preserved!

Mary said...

I upload the actual picture to my EQ. Choose work on Image instead of Block or Quilt on your worktable. There is a small Pic icon on the left hand side to click and upload your picture of the block. then add it to your Sketchbook.

Ramona said...

How exciting! I like the first layout, but both are lovely. And, yes... use the original fabrics. Great block!

Barbara B said...

These are two of my most favorite blocks--so simple but dynamic! And I've used EQ since version 1, it's the best.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I have several of those blocks and am not sure what I want to do with them, so I can't wait to see what you do with yours.

Kate said...

How fun to have a block published. Congratulations. I like the red setting with the block turned on point, but all of the settings look good. So you can't go wrong with any of them.

EQ really helps one explore all the options.

Sarah said...

I'm partial to the block set square (versus on point), as it was originally intended, with the red border. Of course the first example set on-point with the 2 grey fabrics really changes the whole look of the block. I would let you do either :)

A Nudge said...

I like all 4 stencils you picked to quilt it with. Tough decision. Mr. Owlie is crayon which is being outlined in floss? A clever idea.