Tuesday, September 20, 2011

button, button, who's got the button . . .

I guess that would be ME! Not just *a* button, but TONS and TONS of them!

Well, a lot, anyway.

A couple of months ago, a quilty friend of mine was having yard sale -- and in that yard sale she had lots of quilting/sewing related stuff: fabric, threads, books, gadgets, etc. She wanted some help getting the word out to our other quilty/guild friends, and I offered to post to our list and share at the guild meeting. I also went by and did my personal best to alleviate her from some of her quilty stuff. I'm just nice that way.

She had a huge thing of buttons that she had collected from an assortment of places . . . her mom, her husband's mom, and her grandma. Lots and lots of buttons. I went through and picked out some the day of the yard sale and was really tickled with my find. I have a thing for buttons, and really have enjoyed saving/collecting them. After adding what I'd gotten from the yard sale to my button jar, it was pretty full . . .

But then I started seeing all these fun crafts. Really fun crafts ... like this button purse, and these button wreathes, and this button monogram, and these darling little button flower pins, and more button letter art and even a pillow monogrammed with buttons.

And do you know what I realized? That my button jar wasn't enough.

So I called my yard sale friend and asked if she had any buttons left, and if so, how much would she charge me for the whole kit and kaboodle. And you know what she said? She said the very kindest thing. She said, "How about I just give them to a friend who was very helpful in getting the word out about my yard sale to people who would be interested."

And last night, she brought them to me at our guild board meeting . . .

Scores of buttons!!!

Blue buttons . . .


Orange and yellow buttons . . .


Such pretty green buttons . . .

Do you see the prices on some of those buttons?! I was amazed!

Big, ginormous buttons . . .


And little itty, bitty buttons . . .


Fun, flower-power buttons . . .


And a whole baggie full of tiny children's buttons . . .


I am in button heaven. And . . . I need a couple more Mason jars, too.

Ah, and before I forget . . . this is my 594th post. Which means post 600 is impending. SIX HUNDRED POSTS!!! I see a giveaway in the VERY near future. Stay ... posted!

:)

7 left a comment . . .:

Barbara F. said...

Denise~almost 600 posts!! I am impressed. I am on the look out for buttons ever since I discovered Pinterest, and all the projects! xo

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

I love buttons too! I've got several jars full of old buttons. They are such fun :-)

Cathy said...

That is a LOT of buttons, and some very interesting ideas for them.

Pat said...

What GREAT buttons...and I remember when buttons were only 29 cents (and similar prices). I guess that makes me pretty old, huh? LOL I have a few jars of old buttons, too. Congrats on nearly being at 600 posts.

Deanna said...

That button purse is amazing. I had not seen anything like it before. We won't discuss how many buttons I have because it isn't nice to mention in public, but it is A LOT. However, can there ever be too many? Congratulations on your wonderful additions.

Paula said...

Buttons! We all love buttons. Putting our hands into the container and just letting all those buttons slide through our fingers. Oh the joy!
Did you know all "flowers" at my sons wedding were buttons??? All the bouquets, boutonniere's and wristlets.
Enjoy your buttons.
Hugs

Sarah said...

What a great gift. Mom gave me some old buttons years ago but I always have my eye out for more. I keep mine in a biscuit jar in the quilt studio...I've never used any for fear of not having them anymore. Silly, huh?!