Saturday, September 03, 2011

cupcake win . . .


I have to admit. I love cupcakes. Really! The only trouble is, since Todd started the no sugar thing, there wasn't much point in my making a batch, or else I'd end up a roly-poly. So I was *thrilled* to learn that Pillsbury had finally put out two sugar free cake mixes -- devil's food and yellow! Especially since we're always looking for a way to have a sweet treat without the sugar.

Unfortunately, a box makes 24 cupcakes -- and even though they are sugar free, we *still* do NOT need 24 cupcakes hanging around the place! So...I experimented.

The dry mix was 16 ounces, so I used my trusty Pampered Chef scale and weighed out exactly 4 ounces of mix.

From there, I broke down all the added ingredients to match. I used 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon of water, 2 tablespoons of canola oil, and 3 tablespoons of egg beaters.

I mixed it all according to the box instructions and filled the cups 2/3 cups full.

After baking them for 18 minutes in a 325 degree oven . . .

They came out pretty darn perfectly!

Don't they look yummy? But you know, sugar free cupcakes aren't complete without . . .

Sugar free frosting! (Which also comes in c*h*o*c*o*l*a*t*e!)

I have to admit, I was impressed with the consistency of the frosting. It was nicely thick.

But it was also easy to spread.

Lookee there -- what a nice surprise to have waiting for my dear hubby!

And for the final test . . .



Pretty darn good!

:)

5 left a comment . . .:

Pat said...

Great idea. I've baked the full amount and frozen some of them, but I know you have limited freezer space in your place right now. So.....your idea was a terrific one.

Barbara F. said...

You are my new idol, Denise! I have a Biggest Loser scale :-) and I will give this a try. Actually, I might add some pumpkin to it. xo,

Nancy said...

great idea! I am the sugar free one in my family and not much of a sweet eater...but these would be great for my dad and mom...

Anonymous said...

The cupcakes look delicious!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I just wanted to let you know in case you didn't look at the nutrition label, that the reason the frosting is so creamy is because of the hydrogenated soybean oil (28 grams of transfat per can).
If you are aware, or disinterested, I apologize for posting this.

Sincerely,
quilting friend
p.s. Lots of sugar alcohol too....

Sarah said...

Such a great idea. I hardly ever make cup/cake because I just don't care to eat the whole thing and it goes to waste/waist. Brownies, on the other hand, are inhaled :)