Sunday, October 26, 2014

a girl can change her mind . . .

Right??

I had originally planned on using this leftover piece of fabric . . .
(purchased and used originally for the table runner down there somewhere:)
on the back of my mini harvest banner.  But it's *such* a lovely piece of fabric, I couldn't bear to put it on the back of something . . . so instead, I used it here:
A girl can never have too many aprons, can she?  Plus it'll be perfect for cooking/serving Thanksgiving dinner!

I was pleased I'd used a yard (for the apron and then again for the new backing and binding on the mini-harvest piece).  Here's the stash report I'll be linking up to Patchwork Times:
Ah, yes . . . you noticed I also added two yards, didn't you?  That would be from this sweet sampling of sparkling, frosty blues that my sweet friend Janet, of rogue quilter, sent my way!!  
Isn't it pretty?  And totally me! I've already used some of it.
In a manner of speaking, anyway.  We celebrated June's 2nd birthday yesterday, and the snowflake piece was perfect under her birthday cake!  (Can you guess what the theme was??!!)

I also went ahead, based on many of your comments, purchased the cardstock pieces for the POTC blocks.
This will be my slow stitching today!  Whoohoo!!  I can't wait to see this block come 'alive'!

On a final and very proud note, I'd like to introduce my nephew, Nick:
Who graduated on Friday from United States Marine Corps boot camp!  Very proud of this handsome young man -- OOHRAH!

:)

16 noted . . .:

Christine Feldstein said...

Beautiful things in this post, and congratulations on the graduation of your nephew!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love your solution to enjoy that beautiful fall fabric. Congrat to the new marine. So thankful to the men and women and that are willing to serve!

Dee Dee said...

Please give Nick a hug from me and tell him that I am so grateful for his service to our country.

Suzanne said...

Congrats and well done to your nephew! And...your projects are beautiful.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Congrats to your nephew ! :)

Enjoy your stitching today / what a fun post : )

Quilter Kathy said...

Can't wait to see your POTC blocks grow... that should be a really fun project and I have loved every one I've seen posted on other blogs. Enjoy!

Cathy said...

Oh goodie..... you're joining in on the patchwork of the crosses fun.... I wanted to do mine a bit bigger than those that can be purchased ready cut, so I'm making my own papers, with 1 1/2 inch sides.

Kate said...

Happy birthday to June. Looks like she had quite a party.

Very pretty additions. Love the apron, it's perfect for Thanksgiving.

Libby in TN said...

I'm going to put Cindy Blackburg's stamps for POTC on my Christmas list. Also hoping to take Mickey Depre's class (Castle Wall) at Pigeon Forge. Both will be great pick-up projects. Hand-piecing is something I can do in the car -- when I'm not driving!

What a handsome nephew! You deserve to be proud.

Beth in MN said...

What a handsome young man your nephew is. He is to be congratulated on his achievement.
Your fabrics look like they will match some of mine. You have great taste!! LOL
Hugs

Teresa in Music City said...

Love your apron Denise - what a GREAT idea!!!! And I am so excited to see your POTC blocks as you make them - you're off to a great start :) Congrats on all the wonderful family happenings - that makes life grand, doesn't it?

Kris said...

I love your apron, Denise!! And a much better place for that fabric than hiding on the back of a banner!! What a nice friend you have!! Great fabrics!! Your POTC fabrics are wonderful - can't wait to see what you do with them!! Good looking Nephew!! A man in uniform is always a swoon!! :-))

Janet O. said...

What a pretty Fall apron that fabric made. I always think I am going to make aprons, and I never do. Good job!
Looks like you had a Frozen party for a lucky little girl--too bad Olaf couldn't keep it together! *LOL*
That is a young man to be proud of (your nephew, not Olaf)!!

Needled Mom said...

That is really beautiful fabric!

Congratulations to your nephew. May God watch over him in his service to our country.

LA Paylor said...

those blues look very familiar. I think I have all of them!! So of course I think they are a good addition to the stash! The fall fabric is great, but an apron?? Does wearing an apron mean one has to cook?? eeeeek. LeeAnna at not afraid of color
ps I haven't heard from you in a while! Wish I knew how to use google plus

Sarah said...

What a gorgeous apron!!! Congrats and oohrah to your nephew!

I've seen your finished POTC block but these are just such pretty fabrics. Will you go with a (color) theme or anything goes kinda scrappy?