Monday, October 27, 2014

on tap . . .

Got a few things rockin' the design wall this week.  First up, getting the mini harvest piece quilted and bound:
I had some leftover binding from another project that I'm going to use instead of the rust fabric I'd originally planned to use. I decided that it would be too eye-catching, and I really want your eye drawn to the embroidery center.

Next, still plugging away on my wool work . . .
Teehee! Still being secretive!

And finally, I'll continue to work on my first Patchwork of the Crosses (POTC) block. I'm so loving this! 
A light bulb finally came on for me. I went to start fussy cutting my honeycombs, and realized I couldn't just trace around a template. I had to be able to SEE where my template was going. I am a visual/doing learner (so spoken and written words don't always penetrate), so I'd never understood the concept of acrylic templates.  *NOW* I get it!
I made do and created an open paper template, but my next order is definitely an acrylic template! Linking up today's post to the design wall linky party at Patchwork Times!

A lot of different things, I know, but hey; variety is the spice of life, right??! Have a happy and *creative* Monday!

:)

18 left a comment . . .:

Karen Rowland said...

I'm not fond of paper piecing, but your honeycomb block looks awesome. An acrylic template will make your job so much easier.

Momof3girls said...

I love the cross block. That's going to be beautiful when you are finished. You seem to have so much time to make things. I love watching to see what you will create next. :)

Cathy said...

I love your POTC block!! I have some plastic/vinyl template stuff that I can see through and trace around that I use for fussy cutting. I can use an erasable marker on it and draw the shape of the area I'm fussy cutting, so that I get it in the right place each time.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Way to go in using up some old binding. The wool project is such a tease photo. The POTC blocks I am seeing all over are just fantastic and I love yours.

Janet O. said...

I am so stinking curious about your wool project!! : )
You really nailed it on the fussy cutting for your POTC block. Wonderful design!!

Mary said...

I think I see a Cornucopia there in your wool pieces... It's always nice to see something happening in your quilt space.

Rachel said...

I love the center of your POTC block!

Teresa in Music City said...

Your POTC block is looking gorgeous girlfriend!!! Love it!!! You are going to make some amazing blocks - I just know it, and I can't wait to see them :) Love all your fall-themed projects too - perfect for this weather in the evenings especially!

Sandi Colwell said...

The POTC block is awesome. When you had the apple core EPP going, I went and bought the paper pieces for it but I only got halfway through my project because they were a bit tricky. Now I see this and I want to do iit! I should stick to hexies but Oooh that is pretty!

Barbara B said...

I knew POTC would be right up your alley--beautiful!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Making your own template ..smart make-do idea. Love this pretty POTC!

Helen@Till We Quilt Again said...

Love all your projects and the POTC looks like allot of fun. I look forward to seeing the final projects when they are done.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I love EPP, and I have the papers to work on a POTC (once I finish up my MWFG). I had resigned myself to no fussy cutting because I didn't know how I'd be able to SEE ... now I know that I'm going to need to order a template! BTW, your POTC block is absolutely gorgeous! I love the fabrics you chose, as well as the wonderful job you did of fussy cutting that center!

Sarah said...

OMG - I just adore your POTC block!!!!! I think I'll be right over and swipe it. teehee. Given you said you were gonna buy a template, does that mean you will be making more blocks!!??!!

Ranch Wife said...

Oohh! Such lovely things to stitch on! I think your binding choice is spot on and your wool project...well its sure to be darling. O ought to pull out my wool scraps and play.
My friend and coworker is working on her first cross block too. I think they are simply stunning and I may not be able to resist for long.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Is there an acrylic template for the Lucy Boston blocks? If so, I just might consider making some blocks (after Christmas).

~Kris~ said...

Your POTC block is beautiful. Love the center.

Kate said...

The POTC block is gorgeous! It's going to be a stunning quilt.