Thursday, October 30, 2014

pumpkin pass . . .

So it's Thursday and I've not worked stitch one on any of the projects I shared on Monday.  
Life, right?

Not that I haven't been busy. I played around with the Truvia baking blend and finally settled on a combination of ingredients that Todd and I both liked for No-Bake Cookies . . .
These are such a yummy and easy-to-make treat -- it was nice to be able to make them for my hubby again (who works very diligently to not eat sugar).

I also *finally* got around to putting together the painted canvas pumpkin for Kim.
I love the highlights in this fellow!  Blending the oranges and yellows in the pumpkin body and the olive and brown in the stem is key.  Once I had it painted (and it had dried), it was time to do the single letter monogram. I learned a GREAT technique for transferring fancy letters onto canvas.  First, you pick your letter and print it out in real size (and I outlined mine to give it a definite shape):
Isn't that a fun, scrolly "P"?! Next, you flip it over, and with a piece of drawing charcoal, cover the outline.  I didn't need to do quite so much scribbling--you really just need to cover your letter's outline.
The next step is to center your letter on your canvas piece, charcoal side down. Then with a sharp pencil, trace your letter design. Once you've finished, remove the cheater paper and voila!
Outline your letter, if you can, with a sharpie (because the charcoal is a fickle medium and easily blows away), and paint as desired!
Once I'd finished painting and it had dried, I used a liquid gold sharpie to highlight my "P" and give it a little pizzazz . . .
Then it was a simple matter of hot-gluing the cotton backing, leaving a little opening to stuff it with plastic bags, and then sealing it shut.
Add a bow, and TAH-DAH!

Tomorrow we're doing Trunk or Treat at our church.  It probably won't surprise anyone to learn that I'm decorating my PT Cruiser as The Great Pumpkin!  Pictures definitely to follow!

:)

12 noted . . .:

Jean(ie) said...

Love it! You are so clever!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You are enjoying family and the season - that is more important. Enjoy your day.

Janet O. said...

This is pumpkin time, Denise. You need to be making the most of it while it is here, and by the looks of things, you are! : )

Teresa in Music City said...

Wow! What a fun pumpkin!!!! Can't wait to see your PT Pumpkin :*)

Mary said...

Have fun! The pumpkin is just CUTE! love the curly P, too! I have to go hang at our Trunk or Treat tomorrow night too. The Church kids all gather there and it's the best way to treat them all at the samem time. Then I come home to answer the door for the neighborhood kids.

Sarah said...

Very clever to pack your cute pumpkin with plastic bags!

Of course your PT will be a pumpkin. Depends on our weather what I'll dress as. I have an sparkly Halloween tshirt but we aren't expecting tshirt weather so I think it might be the small purple witches hat on a headband. I'll make a last minute decision in the morning cuz that's just how we roll at Casa Grande :)

Needled Mom said...

Your pumpkin looks great. I can't wait to see the cruiser decorated.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Love your pumpkin. Such a fun time of year. :)

Barbara said...

Would you be willing to share your sugar-free recipe for the no-bake cookies? I have been craving them recently but, so far, resisting because of the sugar.

Kris said...

Looks like you are keeping yourself plenty busy, sewing or no sewing - glueing works!! I LOVE those cookies, but with sugar, sorry!! ;-0

Thistle Cove Farm said...

cute punkin and love those no-bake cookies; think I'll make some tonight. it's supposed to snow so maybe baking cookies is a better idea, ya think? lol

Kate said...

Very fun pumpkin. Hope you had a very fun Halloween.