Sunday, October 12, 2014

breathing . . .

It’s autumn and the sumacs have rushed ahead, 
to change their dress to one of red.
The dogwoods from them, take their cue, 
and give their leaves a rosy hue.
A rather melancholy fellow, 
the ginkgo changes his leaves to yellow.
The oaks hold off for as long as they can,
but soon their leaves are burnt orange and tan.
The beeches prefer a little bling,
and soon their leaves will be silvery things.
A feast for the eyes are the colors of autumn, 
with a palette that ranges from golden to plum.
I love to take in her splendid beauty;
there’s nothing quite like autumn leaves on a tree. 

Denise Panter, 2014 :)

What a fun week!  We were going, going, going and I'm spent! LOL!  Friday was filled with all sorts of birthday fun including a little fabric play:
My baby sister knows me so well!! Did you notice the fun buttons?? I also finished up Dot for Everley . . .
Though I don't have a picture of the two of them together yet.  Soon, though!  I also was finally able to give my youngest nephew, Fowler, his cuddly Dr. Seuss minky quilt . . .
What do you think? I think he liked it!

I'd already counted the Seuss quilt and Dot fabrics out, so all I have to report this week is my birthday present . . .
A modest gain of 4.5 yards -- but so pretty! (You may or may not notice that my total this week is only up by 2.5 instead of 4.5 yards.  I miscalculated last week.) Well worth it! Linking up to the stash report post at Patchwork Times.

My Slow Sunday Stitching will be . . .
Yes.  It looks *exactly* the same as it did this time last week.  That's how much family fun we had last week!! I will look forward to some down time later this afternoon!

Happy Sunday!  :)

18 noted . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Gorgeous Fall photo! A bashful model, but I think he likes that quilt.

Michele said...

LOVE the turquoise and brown combo. And Dot is extremely cute :)

carol l mckenna said...

Beautiful autumn photos and words and your nephew is cute with his treasured blanket from is Aunt ~ What a fun you all had ~ So glad!

artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

Lisa J. said...

Happy Birthday. It does look like your sister knows you well.

Christine Feldstein said...

Happy Birthday! Your sister offered you the best present possible! I love your embroidery!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Beautiful poem and scenic shots...autumn beauty at its best.

It sure does look as if he loves his present, yes! :) what a cutie :)

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh I love fall too! Thanks for sharing your fall colors, we have many oaks here so our colors are never as brilliant as they are in the north. Family time is something to be cherished and gives us memories to ponder as we stitch later!

Dee Dee said...

You are certainly having a wonderful birthday month - full of family and adventures. Everley's elephant is adorable.

Karen said...

Acorns. So appropriate for fall. Will there be anything else added to your piece?

Jean(ie) said...

Autumn is my favorite season! Your wool project is coming along nicely!

The Cozy Quilter said...

So nice when a gifted quilt is well loved from the start! Hope you found some time for some stitching today

Needled Mom said...

Yep...I think you nailed it!!! Beautiful autumn colors.

Missy Shay said...

Did you take that top picture? Where was it taken?

Kate said...

It is obvious he loved his quilt. Very fun birthday gifts.

Sarah said...

Yes - I'm pretty sure your nephew liked his minkee quilt :)

Quilter Kathy said...

Gorgeous colour to enjoy there! I think the Dr. Suess quilt was a hit!

Michelle F said...

I love the poem and the Autumn pictures.
Those pictures would make great puzzles.

Have a great week!

Ranch Wife said...

I did not know that your talent included 'writer of poetry' - what a lovely piece! It sounds as if you have been living life to the fullest and blessing everyone along the way!