Friday, October 17, 2014

little things . . .

Yes, I know I haven't finished *all* the projects I had on my plate at the beginning of the week, but that doesn't stop me from plotting planning more!

The Patchwork of the Crosses block has been a very popular one across the blogasphere of late, and I've been watching how different folks put them together.  Gracious, but that is a stunning block! So it only goes to figure that eventually, I'd have to try at least one! (This is NOT my block--but one that definitely caught my eye and interest!)
It took some back and forth questioning with Teresa, over at A Quilt and a Prayer for me to be straight on what I needed. She's completed some simply breath-taking POTCs (like the one above), so she was a natural go-to gal for me!

So far, all I've got is a my overall shape . . . I'm trying to decide if I want to print it out on cardstock and make my templates.
Or if I want to just go ahead and order some.  I'm thinking I'll make one homemade template set, decide if I want to make more, and then if I do, go ahead and purchase them.  I will also then decide if I want to order one of these special little mirrors . . .
To make all my own gorgeous blocks! These are really nifty little things.  There's a tutorial for their use HERE. The next step is figuring out what fabrics I want to put to use for this. Fabric auditioning? Yes please! Linking up to HeLP for Hexi-aholics over at sarah did it!

Before I head out for the weekend (we have a HUGE Father-Son campout this week, so I'm headed out to a ladies' bonfire on the other side of town *grin*), I wanted to share our newest little friend with y'all!
Remember all those eggs that got laid and buried over the summer?  We saw our first hatchling!  Isn't it too cute?  Not much bigger than an acorn.  Those yams tower over him!  We saw about 15-20 eggs being laid ... no telling how many eensy-weensy turtles will see!

:)

13 noted . . .:

Janet O. said...

When I saw the thumbnail photo for your post, I thought it was a post from Teresa. : )
Do the POTC blocks have to fit together? If so, I highly recommend getting ALL of your templates from the same source. If you hand cut one there is a chance it will not fit exactly with your manufactured ones. Ask me how I know.
Cute little turtle baby. Anyone named it yet?

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I don't do a lot of EPP, but Janet makes a good point in using a template source. Oh. love the wee turtle - sure there are more and how wonderful they are so at home in your little sanctuary.

Melissa Bishop said...

That is a gorgeous block and an adorable little turtle!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

I love the POTC blocks and have been wanting to start on it for a while. I can't wait to see how yours turns out. Love the turtles!

Barbara B said...

That POTC is beautiful! I'm sure you will enjoy that project. And the mirrors are handy for lots of quilt blocks--go for it.

Teresa in Music City said...

What fun to see my block on your blog today!!! I'm so glad my POTC blocks have inspired you to start some of your own! I can't wait to see what your blocks become :)

I use Pinterest to get ideas for the types of fabrics that will make fun designs. You can check out my POTC Pinterest page if you like, which will lead you to even more of them out there!

I agree with the others - the purchased ones are all standard and fit together perfectly. And they are relatively inexpensive. I buy a package of 100 for $3.25 and once the inner pieces are surrounded by other pieces, I take the template out and reuse it. I've reused some of them three or more times so far and they are still fine. They get a little creased from folding, but I've still been able to use them. By the time you pay for paper stock and printer ink, not to mention the time it would take you to cut them all out very carefully, you will have pretty much justified purchasing a bag of them :)

Kris said...

Oh, that little turtle is soooo cute!! Can't wait to watch her grow up!! And Denise, you will love making the POTC blocks. And I agree with Teresa - not worth the time to make your own. I also found a great place to purchase them. Can't wait to see what you do for your first one!!

Mary said...

I will resist these Blocks although they are very tempting. I have to save my Stitching time for some fast Christmas projects and Bonnie Hunter's Mystery coming up very soon. I'd say buy the templates too!

Jean(ie) said...

Paperpieces.com is my go to source for paper templates. Check your local shops, too they do wholesale through some distributors to local shops

Vireya said...

Good luck with your POTCs! It's a design I really like, but have enough other projects on the go at the moment.

Kate said...

It is a beautiful block. Looking forward to seeing your version.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Those turtles are so cute! Have fun with your Lucy blocks.

Sarah said...

As you probably guessed, I'm with everyone else on just going ahead and getting the POTC papers from paperpieces.com. I will never try to cut my own again (tired it once) and now I think I own half their stock. Ok, maybe only a quarter of it, but they are well worth the $3 or $4.

Love the turtle babes! I hope he enjoyed his yam tower!