Monday, January 24, 2011

by design . . .

When it comes to tying off a quilt with yarn, my motto is:
Walk softly and carry a big needle.


I mean a *really* big needle.

big, Big, BIG. And sharp, too. Ouch!

Down through the front, and then back up . . .


A solid knot and a quick snip . . .


Do that about twenty-five times and VOILA!

The tying is finished!

Luckily (not really -- by design) the batting I'm using has an 8" spread for quilting, so I could be finished with it if I desired. But I'm thinking that to add a little eye interest and dimension, I'm going to pick some of the single owls and outline quilt around them. Different ones on each row for character.

And then, I'll do a matchie-matchie pillow, just like this!

So, that's what I've got going on right now (or at least, that's what I'm concentrating on this week)! I hope to be able to show off the whole kit & caboodle next Monday. Curtains, bumper pads, crib skirt, quilt, and pillow. Whew!

For sure, you should head on over to Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times, and check out the inspired workings and goings-on of other quilters!

Today, me and Everett's Owls are headed over to spend a Monday (finally!!) with Sawyer!

Hasta la vista, bebe!

:)

5 left a comment . . .:

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

Denise, the batting may hold up, but the fabric won't. I inherited a couple of quilts that were tied and the tragedy was they weren't tied close enough and the pulling against the ties in both wear and wash tore the fabric at the ties. Ties 3 or 4 fingers apart would probably be ok for a smaller lighter quilt...
Just suggesting, not telling you what to do. Way cute quilt!
Sharyn

Tamera said...

It will be so cute when it's finished!

Cathy said...

I hope you have a great day with Sawyer. He sure is cute. Saw your pictures in your post from yesterday. He sure is getting big. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the owls all finished.

Chris said...

OUCH! Makes my hand hurt looking at it. I love the owl fabric...it is too cute.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Love your owl quilt!! That fabric is adorable! Can't wait to see everything together. Love & blessings from NC!