Wednesday, January 26, 2011

it's here . . .

Finally, after much anxious waiting, I got the call that my brace was ready to pick up. It looked pretty much like I thought it was going to look, except the brown was prettier than anything I'd seen in pictures, and it smelled like Todd's new coat (which is leather) or a new car (with leather interior). In other words, it smelled like leather. Which it is.

I have to admit that I've been a little skeptical about how much the brace would help. I mean, how could it make the bone-on-bone-on-bone pain quit? I really wasn't sure, even as the orthotist put it on and laced me up.

Then I took my first step.

And I cried.

Yesterday I took the first pain-free steps with my right foot since May 21, 2010. It deserved my tears of joy! I don't think my orthotist realized how significant an event this was for me. Or perhaps, since he's got a wife and daughter, he understood all too well. :)

So, here it is . . .

It's not really much to look at, though there's nothing a little bedazzling and some pink, sparkly laces wouldn't fix.

And I need to get new shoes to wear with it. My tennis shoes (which I've been wearing because my orthotics fit best in them), are a tad snug.

And you definitely need to be in a shoe when you're wearing this thing! Shoelessness is not an option.

Pretty funky, right? I don't care. It felt *good* to walk to today! I still walk funny, because I'm getting used to the brace. It doesn't allow me ankle/flex movement, so I look a little stiff. But who cares? It doesn't hurt! And driving was a little . . . interesting. Because I can't flex me foot to press the gas or brake, and have to move my leg from the hip to exert pressure, especially to accelerate. But who CARES??? It *still* doesn't hurt!!!

I've quilted five of the owls . . . only seven more to go! Easy-peasy. And nice to do while Todd's playing football on the xbox!

I wish the quilting showed up a little better in these photos, but the owls are so cute, I decided to show 'em anyways.

And besides, whooooooo cares?

It doesn't hurt to walk!

:)

7 left a comment . . .:

Kim P. said...

yay! I'm so glad it doesn't hurt to walk!! :)

Linda said...

So glad you are not hurting any more when you walk!
The owl blocks are precious!

Cathy said...

That is soooooooo good to hear!! Thank you Lord for answered prayer. And the owls are the cutest thing I've seen in a while. Well, except for the recent pictures of Sawyer. LOL

Janice said...

Only people who have gone through chronic pain, can really understand the relief you must feel to take that pain free step. I had an injury and was in pain every day for 2.5 yrs. I was healed, through a series of therapy, massage, physical, electro, but to pick up my grandchildren without pain in my shoulder. That is the greatest joy. I celebrate with you.

Ashley Ferguson said...

Praise the Lord!! Congratulations! I pray God just continues to heap bountiful blessings on your recovery and your growing family! Love you!!

Pat said...

I'm so glad you have gotten some pain relief now!!! The owls look very cute....I'm impossibly behind on blogs now with being away, but I wanted to comment on your brace.

Bo said...

Fantastic, Denise! God is good!