Wednesday, August 31, 2011

new paths . . .

I did something today I've hadn't done in over 16 years.

I bought a bathing suit! A TWO piece no less! (A tankini.)

I did *not* take pictures to post, either. You can thank me later. :)

I *did* enjoy a wonderful time at the pool with Jocelyn, Kim and my sweet Sawyer! This time, since I was in the pool playing, there aren't any Sawyer swimming photos. But I did catch a few of him after we'd headed back for lunch . . .

Look at that sweet little head! And a neck that's made for being kissed on by his Neesey!

I think that pool play wore the boy out.


Definitely. I bet he took a great nap this afternoon!

After Kim took Sawyer home for a nap, Jocelyn and I had another crafty afternoon. Last time we got together we worked on her wreath -- from this post. She didn't finish it that day, but I've got a finished picture of it now . . .

Didn't she do a great job?! I love it!

My sister loved the idea, so she made one too, only she used burlap to make the ruffle and decorated it with pine cones. She sent me a picture of it this evening (along with a text that she had hot glue gun burns over 50% of her body)!

I'd say the burns were worth it -- she did a marvelous job!! I want to do one with burlap, too -- and use some autumn mini-corn with the husks for my decoration. We'll see. I also want to do an acorn wreath. And a pine cone wreath. And a starlight mint wreath. Ummmm....I really have a wreath obsession right now!

ANYway, today we went in a different direction. Today we played dress-ups!

Joc had found this really cute shirred maternity top on DIY Maternity HERE. She wanted one for herself so she went through Jason's closet and came out with a handful of dress shirts that he couldn't wear anymore.

Then we pulled out the tape measure . . .


And started whacking off excess pieces . . .


And finally a couple of hours and a spool of elastic thread later, voila . . .


And hubba hubba! Isn't she darling?!

She was thrilled with the shirt, but she's the one that made it so cute! She wants about five more now. LOL!


The empire waistline was a challenge at first, but I think I got the hang of it quickly, and it really makes this man's shirt oh-so-feminine! I'd never used elastic thread in clothes sewing -- just in crafting. It was really easy to work with.

We ended up trimming the sleeves and cuffing them, removing the collar and then reattaching the collar tab, and creating the empire waist. Such a beautiful girl . . .

Just glowing!

:)

5 left a comment . . .:

Barbara F. said...

Joc is a beautiful young woman, and she is definitely glowing! You are a talented seamstress, Denise! Sawyer looked like he was tired in the last snap of him, I am sure he fell asleep on the way home! xo,

Love Bears All Things said...

That is the cutest thing and so practically. I bet it is comfortable, too.
Mama Bear

Cathy said...

What a great idea for a maternity top. I just might have to "pin" that one, for future reference. And she is beautiful, and she looks like her Mama.

Pat said...

Love that shirt you and Joc worked on....and yes, she is a very pretty gal! I'm glad you had fun in the pool. I love tankini type suits (the two-pieces make it so much easier to use the bathroom...very hard to get a wet one-piece suit down and back up again!!! LOL)

Gmama Jane said...

SEW Cute!! I just discovered elastic thread TODAY on another crafting blog! I can't wait to make a ruffle using it!! Joc is such a beautiful girl, inside and out!
Blessings
Jane