Monday, June 25, 2012

design, desire, disgrace . . .

Just a little swap-stitchery-something on my design wall this hot and sultry Monday morning . . . 
I think it will be prettier when the blue marking isn't clashing with the yellow/orange stitching!  It's a from this cute little drawing: 
I love all the scroll work!  I'll frame this up in some yummy autumn fabrics and get it on its way.

I've also got a pile of 15" square tee-shirt cut-ups that I need to give a little zigzag stitch around the edges.  
They will become washable "paper towels" for Joc.

Joc's first major sewing project was making a set of six napkins from each of these lovely fabrics.  Aren't they fun?
I told her I'd take the remnants and make some matching quilted coasters for her to use.  So that's on my 'to do' list.  It shouldn't be tough to cut and quilt them ... but is there an easy way to bind a small project like this?  Should I just buy some bias binding?  Or should I just bite the bullet and make binding for each set of six?  That's thirty coasters!!

And at some point I really really need to take care of this . . .

Isn't it disgraceful?!?  June has definitely taken it's toll on my sewing bunk (not to mention my large number of WIPs)!  I know creative juices will have a hard time flowing while it looks like chaos.  So perhaps--now that things have settled just a bit--I can carve out some time to whip this room back into shape!

And with that in mind, I'd better make a hasty retreat!  You, on the other hand, should head on over to Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times and check out the list of great design wall stuff out there today!

:)

12 left a comment . . .:

Barbara F. said...

Love the new header, d! xo

Cathy said...

Your pile of fabrics looks an awful lot like my pile of fabrics. They somehow seem to just keep on growing in height. Instead of binding the coasters, you could always do a wide machine satin stitch around the edges

Patrica said...

I would not bind those coasters! Instead layer backing, batting and front sew around all four sides, leave an opening to turn right side out and edge stitch. Easy, quick and washable.

Penny said...

Patricia's suggestion is a good one. Were you at my house taking pictures in my sewing room???? You are not alone when it comes to things needing attention.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Yes, I was going to suggest Pat's method for the non-binding. I'm cleaning and re-organizing too - so we can pull it all out again! And you threw me with the new header - thought I was in the wrong place, lol!

Momof3girls said...

I think bias tape would make them look better, but that's just me. I would buy it instead of making it, unless you can't find the right color. When I use bias tape, I fold the end over and sew one side down. When I get about 1/2 inch from the end, I stop, backstitch and cut the threads, not the fabric. I then fold the end to the right and then back over to the left and start sewing until I get to the other end. I do this all the way around. When I get finished. I fold the bias tape over the edge and topstitch through all layers. My corners turn out really nice. I could never figure out how to do this, until I went to google and found a video. Hope this helps!

Jean(ie) said...

Take some time to clean and re-organize. It will help you get through your creative block.

Yep, it's almost pumpkin season for you! LOL!

Janet O. said...

Sometimes for little things I just bring the backing around to the front for the binding.
Beautiful new header!

Mary said...

Yep go with the stitch and turn method of making coasters. Not a disgrace. You won't see my MESS posted on my Blog though. Your's isn't much, let me tell you...

Melissa Labella said...

I have made some coasters with the turning inside out method. I can bring you a copy of the instructions if you like. Will you be at Stitchers Tuesday? Sometimes I just use felt instead of batting, also.

Kate said...

Love the stitchery, very pretty even with the blue marking showing through.

My sewing closet is in the same shape. But I'm slowing taming the piles. Good luck with yours.

Sarah said...

omigosh - she's onto the pumpkins already ;^)

I am with those who already stated to go with a non-binding finish for the coasters.