Friday, June 22, 2012

whew!

If you've never helped put up/take down a quilt show ... have mercy ... it's WORK!  We had 25 small quilts entered into our guild's challenge show last night and since I was on the committee, I helped setup/takedown.  I was so worn out by the end of the night, I didn't even CARE that about this:
Hahaha!  Who am I fooling?  Oh yes I did too care!!  I finished it with sixty minutes to spare and won first place in the Innovative Design, Hand Quilted category.  Yay!  The technique I used is called "colorque" (or faux applique) and I've blogged about it here.  The design was one of my NewFO dreams for the year (drawn out here) and I had a BLAST working on it!  I quilted it with silver, sparkly sulky thread, and bound it with a soft grey and white paisley (part of the challenge was including a recognizable amount of gray/silver fabric). 

The theme was Still Crazy After All These Years, celebrating our guild's 25th anniversary.
And we celebrated right -- with cake!
And tons of fun raffle prizes, too!
And a marvelous crowd of women - we had over 150 members show up for last night's meeting/show!

I was so tickled that all the entrants' gift bags, the winners' prize bags, and the ballot pens all had my logo design on them.  
Whoohoo!

My favorite quilt of the night one first place in its division as well as Best Use of Theme and Best of Show!
Isn't this fun?!?  It was made by my friend--and the coordinator of our Stitcher's Group--Kari.  I knew as soon as I saw it that she'd made it!

I'll come back over the weekend and share a few more photos of my favorites and some of the goodies I got for entering and winning!  For now I'm getting ready for a GLOW event tonight and a baby shower and a wedding tomorrow.  Busy, busy, busy!  Happy Friday!

:)

15 left a comment . . .:

Barbara F. said...

Congrats on the win! well deserved. Have fun at all your weekend events and then try to relax a little! lol xo

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Congratulations sweetie - hang that one with pride! Love Amy Butler' "DIVAS' and so cute. Exhaustion with a smile, love it.

Sarah said...

Yeah!!!!! A blue ribbon!!!!! Those are great incentives to enter and win. My guild doesn't do challenges but maybe I can (gasp) offer to do something instead of the annual show that seams to be faltering...

Rachel's Quilts said...

Congratulations! Your quilt looks great.
I've helped set up quilt shows a few times and it is a lot of work. But it's nice to get an up close look at all the quilts.

Janet O. said...

Congrats on the blue ribbon, Denise!
Looks like a very fun, and well planned, event. I'm not in a guild, so I haven't helped with a show, but I have helped with the quilts at our county fair--we get dozens, and they get heavy when you have to hang them after the judges are finished. I sympathize!

Linda in Calif. said...

Fun Fun Fun!!! I'm signing up to help for our next guild show.

Dirt Road Quilter said...

Goodness! You are on the go, go, go! Congratulations on your well deserved win - such a pretty piece! I can only imagine how pretty it is in person! I'll take a nap for you this weekend. :)

Kris said...

Oh, Denise!! Congratulations!! How great is that and your little quilt is wonderful!!! And I love Kari's quilt too!! Kris

Mary said...

Nice win for you! I like the swirling rainbow. Quilt shows are a lot of work, I've helped put up and take down the 300+ quilts at our Local Quilt show. It's all worth it. Enjoy the events you get to go to this week-end!

Teresa in Music City said...

Wow! Congratulations! From the looks of that amazing quilt, you most certainly deserve it :*) And you designed the logo? Girlfriend, you've got talent oozing out your pores! Can't wait to see some more of the pictures!

Cathy said...

Oh wow, that is soooo very exciting!! A very well deserved win.

Editfolt said...

Beautiful quilt. Nice colors.!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Congratulations! Your quilt is simply stunning and I know you must be so excited at the win. I do love the quilter...she looks like I feel at times. :) blessings, marlene

Barbara said...

You go, Girl! Congratulations!

Paula said...

Congrats on your "Blue Ribbon"! So exciting for you and for us to read about it.
Can't wait to see more of your quilt show.
You created a very fun logo, also.
Hugs to you.