Monday, June 04, 2012

design wall threads . . .

You might have noticed that I have a new button over there to the right, for StitchMAP (MAP = Mentor Apprentice Program).  This is a Yahoo! list group that focuses on needlework of all kinds.  It's also a teaching group.  Pretty cool, huh?  They have all sorts of classes (including a Color Theory class that's a prerequisite for most of the others), challenges and swaps.  I'm on the waiting list for the color theory class, taking a travel bag challenge, and just signed up for a pillow swap!  It's a very active, fun group, and they're very chatty and helpful and community-oriented.

All that being said to say that on my figurative design wall today is the pattern I think I want to use for my [door] pillow swap.  The theme is autumn and in a recent pinterest spree I found this darling little acorn medallion on about.com  (clicking on the picture should take you to the pattern).
Isn't it sweet?  I'm going to play around with my fall fabrics and decide how I want to border/back it.  I think I already know that I want the strap to be made of translucent orange beads!
And then I'll have to decide what colors of floss I want to use . . . decisions, decisions!
I'm finding that floss is nearly as much fun as fabric.  With the benefit of being less expensive and taking up less room!  Hmmm, looking at the above, I think I need to add a tan or two and a darker brown.  Please excuse the water stain on my ironing board!  

Still working out my challenge project for the guild.  Yikes!  On top of that there's VBS next week - I'm teaching 3-5 grade - another GLOW event coming up the following week, and Ellie's baby dedication on the 16th!  Plus back-to-back big event weekends up at the Camp.  I feel like we're in full speed ahead mode!

Kim and Baby P's appointment went *very* well this morning.  Except for the part where the doctors' office was so busy they couldn't get her in for the ultrasound.  Boo!  It's scheduled for next Thursday, which is really fine by me -- I'll have another opportunity to spend the day with Sawyer!  That's always a happy!  Tomorrow is an Ellie day -- I'd like to have my little stitchery pattern transferred over so I get do a little stitching during nap time.

Oh ... and a by-the-by ... I had a weigh-in appointment last Friday with my own doctor.  That one went extremely well, too.  I'm now down 24 pounds in eight weeks.  YAY!  My doc was as excited as I was!  I think the monthly weigh-ins are helpful (accountability is a biggie for me) and going to be key to continued success.  I'm still doing the SB thing and watching my carbs -- though I'm thankful that I'm in Phase 2, which is not nearly as restrictive as the first 2-3 weeks!

Be sure to head over to Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times and check out all the fantastic design walls this week!

:)

9 left a comment . . .:

Barbara F. said...

Denise, 24 pounds in 8 weeks is fantastic! 3#/wk is great. I need to cut my carbs more than I do. I am so addicted to them. Can I find the SB diet on line? I actually might have bought the book a while ago :/ but I have no idea what I did with it when I moved! xo

Janet O. said...

That acorn medallion will make a great little fall stitchery.
Congrats on the 24 lbs!

Cathy said...

That is quite an exciting by-the-by that you slipped in there!!! That is just fabulous!! Good for you. And I bet you feel better for it, too. Have fun with you baby girl tomorrow.

marcella said...

Love the fall project you are pulling together. It's going to be great I am sure. congratulations on the weight loss! That is really wonderful.

Kate said...

Looks like a fun project. I like all the colors you've picked so far.

Congrats on the great weigh in!

Sarah said...

That acorn stitchery will be stunning when it's done! Congrats on the weight loss - pretty soon you will need to treat yourself with some new clothes :)

Dirt Road Quilter said...

Lots of cuddle time with grand-kidlets, a cute fall stitching project, and a very impressive weight loss! Lots to celebrate!

Dirt Road Quilter said...

Lots of cuddle time with grand-kidlets, a cute fall stitching project, and a very impressive weight loss! Lots to celebrate!

Teresa in Music City said...

Love your acorn stitchery! I've enjoyed following your stitchery pins on Pinterest :*) I'm also enjoying embroidery again after many years. It's a very relaxing project to work on in the evenings watching TV with the hubby. Can't wait to see what you do with this one!

And CONGRATS on the weight management! You are an inspiration!