Friday, March 07, 2014

a happy wrap . . .

I think I mentioned in my last stash report post that I had accidentally stumbled upon a HUGE deal on a fat quarter bundle of Kona solids.  Seriously, it was a *huge* deal -- $26 for the bundle of twenty luscious colors that arrived yesterday . . .
Isn't it purdy?!  The colors for our guild's swap block this month are "solids" on a grey background, so I'll put this to use right away!

I wanted something for St. Patrick's Day for my little quilt stand and finally, after looking around through my patterns and online, decided to sketch out my own little something . . .
I'm thinking I'd print the blessing off on fabric and then outline stitch it and then use a combination of wool applique and embroidery to do the floral design that frames it.  Did I forget to mention I'm wanting it for St. Patrick's Day 2015?!  ;)

March is a big month of celebrations in our family, kicking off with Jocelyn's birthday TODAY!  I can hardly believe my beautiful baby girl is twenty-eight years old.  Where did the time go?!  It seems like just yesterday she wasn't any older than Eleanor Pearl!  
Happy birthday, my sweet Jocelyn!

After my walk yesterday morning a little flutter of color caught my eye behind the RV.  Some past caretaker had planted a nice little plot of daffodil bulbs and so each year they continue to herald Spring.  
This is the first bloom of the year ... it made me cry I was so happy to see it!  (And maybe my hormone levels *do* need to be checked.)

And finally, Leia says . . . 
TGIFF (Thank Goodness It's Feline Friday) !!!!

:)

12 sweet people commented:

Teresa in Music City said...

Boy am I jealous over your solids!!! So glad I didn't see that deal, because I would have jumped on it too :) Solids are the one fabric that can afford to be built up in my stash yet without guilt because I have so few. I can't wait to see what you do with them!

Happy Birthday to Jocelyn! My baby girl is going to be the big "40" this year - wow!!! And her little brother will be 36 next month. Time sure does fly. Before you know it, Ellie will be 28!!!

Hooray for daffodils!!! We have a few popping up around here too. I am SO READY FOR SPRING!!!!!

Sarah said...

OMG - I would have bought the bundle as well at $26! Good for you!

Happy Birthday Joc!! Love Ellie's outfit - she sure is the fashionista!

I'm glad to see that Leia is in a better mood this week. Or was it just a momentary lapse on her part? LOL! TGIFF from my house to yours!

Dee Dee said...

You certainly were at the right place at the right time to scoop up such a great deal! Looking forward to seeing what you create with these fabrics.

Melissa Bishop said...

Lovely colors. Excited to see what you do with them. How are the 'snow flakes' coming along?

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Where did you find those pretty Kona fabrics? I'm going to make a quilt for my daughter using two Kona solids (a darker gray and a very light gray that will read as off white) and I don't know where to buy them. ;-) I don't know that I've ever used a totally solid fabric - I usually choose a tone on tone or a very subtle print for my neutrals, so I'm not sure where to find the colors she's chosen.

Momof3girls said...

How long is this sale going on with the fat quarters? When I go to the site, it says $43.99.
I would love to purchase these, but not at $43.99.
Can you help me?

Vroomans' Quilts said...

That is a great sale!! They are always our babes no matter how old they get. This year ALL of my children will be in their 30's - where did it go.

Janet O. said...

Gorgeous colors, Denise!
Happy Birthday to your big girl!! : )
Do my eyes deceive me or does that daffodil have a hint of pink to it? I love that kind!

Needled Mom said...

Are the daffodils such a happy flower?

Happy birthday to your daughter. The years do fly past.

Kate said...

Ooh, what a pretty bundle of fun and color you got. Looking forward to seeing how you put all those pretties to use.

Happy Birthday to Jocelyn!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Your Kona stack is indeed lovely!!! Looking forward to seeing your block.

I have two daughters and each year on their birthday, I'm especially thankful for the sweet, gentle, faithful and beautiful young ladies they are. I can tell you feel the same about Jocelyn. God is good.

Mary said...

My baby girl turns 28 this year. Hard to believe that many years have passed. Today is her DH's B-day. Our family has a LOT of birthdays in the first 3 months. Congrats on getting the good deal on the KONA fq's. I loved buying my Kona at Hancock's when I worked there. Quilt with gray Background sounds different. Do you get to choose the pattern?