Saturday, March 29, 2014

picture this . . .

I've recently noticed a lot of bloggers who've encountered the annoying "sideways picture" problem and haven't been able to get their pics loaded into the posts properly.  Sometimes they just give up and use the picture in the awkward orientation or worse, they don't post the picture at all.  I have found a little trick that works (with Blogger) every time and I thought I'd share it here!

Most of the time, this happens when you've changed the orientation of your picture.  For some reason (and really, with no rhyme or reason) Blogger feels the need to arbitrarily change the orientation back to the original setting.
And you end up with pictures turned on their sides like the above, forcing readers to move their heads into unnatural positions to view your work correctly.

To get your pics righted, click on your 'insert image' icon and then when the 'select a file' window opens, click 'choose files'.  This will open up a directory on your computer.  
Once you've navigated to the location of the photos you want to upload, highlight the photo (or photos) you want to upload.
Once you've highlighted your photos, hover your mouse over one of them, and right click to bring up the pull down menu.  Click on "rotate clockwise".
This will rotate your pictures clockwise one turn.  Keeping your mouse hovering over one of the selected photos, again right click to bring up the pull down menu. This time click on "rotate counterclockwise".  
This will rotate your pictures back to their normal orientation and at this point, you will want to click "open" to upload your photos into the blogger screen:
And voila, they'll be uploaded correctly and, more importantly . . .
Will look far more superior in your blog post than the picture turned on its side!

As I've said, I've *never* had this method fail for me in Blogger (and generally speaking, I walk through these steps the FIRST time I try to upload).  I've made all the pictures in this post clickable so you can see them 'big' and feel free to comment or email if you have any questions about the process.

Happy blogging!

:)

9 noted . . .:

Kelly @ Sew With Kelly said...

Learn something new every day! I always just rotate in Photoshop, but this is soooo much easier! (I am feeling a little dumb though!) LOL - thanks for the awesome tutorial!

Needled Mom said...

Thanks for the information. I have been having major problems with Blogger and uploading ANY photos.

Barbara said...

Good to know. Thanks!

Janet O. said...

Wow, how did you ever figure that out? : )

Teresa in Music City said...

Great advice! My pictures used to do this more often than they do now - not sure why. But this is always good info to know in case they suddenly decide to start going haywire on me again :*) Thanks for sharing!

Helen said...

What helpful information! I usually just leave out if I have the problem. Thanks for sharing.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for sharing this tip. I haven't had the problem (yet) but I know several people who have.

Kate said...

I don't usually have an issue with photo rotation, but it's nice to know there is a solution.

Annette-California said...

This is exactly what happened to me in my last post. Bless you for sharing how to correct it. WOOHOO!! I totally appreciate your help -
Thank YOU! love Annette