Saturday, March 08, 2014

a review: i, saul . . .

When Worthy Publishers presented the opportunity to read and review I, Saul, by Jerry Jenkins (with James S. MacDonald), it was another no-brainer for me.  Aside from the line of Left Behind books that Jenkins had co-authored with Tim LaHaye, I was well-versed with Jenkins' fiction and knew it would be a good read.  I was wrong.

It was a GREAT read.  This tale had the spy-action-intrigue I really enjoy in modern novels, as well as telling a dual historical tale . . . one based heavily on Scripture . . . the account of Paul in Nero's prison in Rome and the ministry of certain disciples to him -- and a lesser known tale of Paul's childhood and the events that made him who he was.

The modern story line follows a young seminary professor, Augustine Knox, who gets involved in the finding and subsequent heist of a new, first century parchment, supposedly written in Paul's own hand -- it begins with "I, Saul . . .". As corrupt government officials and antiquities dealers scramble to gain possession, Knox and his connections work to find the scroll and put it in the hands of those who would 'use it for good'. 

It's a gripping story and I really enjoyed going back and forth between the first century and the twenty-first century, seeing the content of the scroll played out in early history, as modern day heroes struggled to protect its integrity.

I have my hardback review copy which I'm happy to gift to someone who'd enjoy reading I, Saul ... leave me a comment and let me know you're interested!  This would make an ideal read for Spring Break, which is right around the corner!

:)

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Worthy 
Publishers, as part of their Blogger Review program. I was not required to write a
positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in 
accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: 
"Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.

6 noted . . .:

Chris Matsche said...

This books sounds like a great read. Thank you for the chance to win.

Kate said...

Sounds very interesting.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

The intrigue and mystery of Paul ..... Fascinating. Always eager to find a good read!!!!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

That sounds like a fascinating book ... thanks for the opportunity to win a copy!

Magistra Roth said...

This sounds like a great book. Thanks for the opportunity to win a copy.

Sarah said...

Sounds like a good read!
My current book is "Virgin Blue" which is flipping between current times and the 1500s in France. I do like an author than can successfully mix old and new times.