Saturday, March 01, 2014

a review: strait of hormuz

I've been a huge fan of Davis Bunn (or T. Davis Bunn as he was known in the earlier years) for quite some time. He's got an incredible range of fiction appeal: mysteries, spy/intrigue, romance, and just a downright good story.  So when I went searching for my "review" book for February's Bibliophiles Files, I didn't have to go far before my eye caught his title, Strait of Hormuz on the review list. And since it's the third in the Marc Royce series (along with Lion of Babylon and Rare Earth -- which were also part of February's B.F. challenge), I decided it was the perfect choice.

Interestingly enough, because I knew I'd be reviewing Strait of Hormuz I choose to read it first, even though it was the third in the series.  I'm *very* happy to report that it read well as a standalone and if you haven't read the first two books (you should), it will not impair the readability!

Strait of Hormuz starts out with a literal bang and never slows down.  When Hy Smith, Senior Vice President, United National Pictures, said, "Davis Bunn has created a thinking person's Indiana Jones," he wasn't kidding.  With activity that could have been pulled from recentl headlines, Bunn does a fabulous job of creating a story line that is compelling and intriguing and keeps you on your toes. 

Marc Royce is a fabulous leading character, full of integrity and humanity and straight up undercover operative.  I have to admit, though, I think he's got the super power of incredible patience and self-control! There's also just enough romance in this one to keep situations interesting . . . but it is definitely not overpowering.  From Switzerland to France to the Middle East, this action thriller will definitely keep your interest.
Bunn does a fabulous job of fleshing out characters, making them believable and likable ... or not.  As soon as I finished the last word of Strait of Hormuz, I went right to the first in the series and devoured it and the second one, as well!

Highly recommended and five stars on this one!

:)



Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this ebook free from Bethany House 
Publishers, as part of their Blogger Review program. I was not required to write a
positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in 
accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: 
"Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.

5 left a comment . . .:

Jean(ie) said...

I loved Lion of Babylon. Good book. I need to buy/finish the other two.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

He is a new author to me. I listen to books while I quilt, clean, and drive, so I'll have to check him out at my library.

Thanks for the review!!!!

Hope you are whipping up on the walking pneumonia.

Doniene said...

Wow, I enjoyed his earlier books and these sound like a winner to me! Have to check them out! Thanks!

Kate said...

I'll have to check these out, I've been looking for a new author/series to read.

Sarah said...

Sounds like an interesting book - Hadn't heard of Bunn before your review...As you know I am already a little over extended at the library so he will be added to the some day list :)