Thursday, August 04, 2011

stormy day business . . .

At about 10:00 last night, Todd noticed lights flashing continuously from the window. So unusual was it, that he got up and went outside to check it out. You have to remember, we live in the middle of 110 wooded acres which itself is out in the middle of an incredibly RURAL area. The only lights we typically see at night are the moon, stars, and fireflies! (Unless I've got my happy lights on the RV on.) It turns out it was lightning -- non-stop flashes of it -- from further north. Eventually, that particular storm did make it's way towards us.

It was a doozie, too. Brilliant flashes of lightning, one after the other, and by the time it got to us, the rumbles of thunder accompanied it as well. Deep, belly rumbles . . . the kind that shook the RV and made me mindful of the power of a thunderstorm! We lost power just briefly -- off and then back on -- two times. My understanding is that we're quite fortunate, as that was not the case for a lot of folks in the county.

It's remained gray and dreary for the day, but that made it a good day to get my fabrics ready for our stitch-in on Saturday. Our group is swapping blocks -- the Journey Step Block to be precise -- and twenty of us are participating. We're swapping two blocks per participant, so we each need to make 40 blocks. And we're doing it in Civil War fabrics.

Civil War fabrics are not something I'd really paid much attention to in the past. Just the name spoke ... tired, old and dreary to me. I was SO wrong! I really had a difficult time choosing my two color combinations, because the fabric is so beautiful! It's rich and gorgeous and I ended up getting more than I needed (for just in case, later on down the line), which really isn't that big of a surprise. When I was going back through my purchases, I realized that most everything that I had gotten and really loved was by Judie Rothermel. I should have known that my taste in fabric would be just as eclectic and varied as my taste in music (and everything else, for that matter)!

The color combos I'm going with for my blocks are . . .

This lovely cheddar and blue, with the light blue shirting.

And . . .

This beautiful burgundy and the cream and burgundy shirting.

Then I got bold and scanned my fabrics into my EQ fabric library, so I could see what my finished contributions will look like. I've never scanned fabrics before. I'm sure there are tricks and tips that I don't know that would make it easier and look better, but I'm fairly satisfied for a first attempt. I think I'll take a class in EQ so I can really explore all that it can be used for. The videos that are included with it are okay, but more ... new computer user oriented. I need something with some meat to it. Haha! Anyway, here they are . . .


Civil War block 1.


Civil War block 2.

It's all ironed and ready to cut. All I have to do is cut 80 2-1/2" dark squares, 40 4-1/2" dark squares, and 20 1-1/2" by 14" strips of both light and dark. And then I have to do that all over again for the other two colors. Perhaps I should get busy?

I'll leave with this . . .

It may be gray and dreary outside, but it's sunny at the table. Hooray for sunflowers!

:)

4 left a comment . . .:

Cathy said...

I'm loving those fabrics, and the blocks they are going into. It will be a wonderful quilt when it is done, with all the variety it will have. Scrap and swap quilts are so much fun.

Marge at Living Little said...

Hi Denise,
So happy to meet you. Thanks for your SWD visit. Your quilt fabrics are just lovely. I'm not a quilter but sure do enjoy the gorgeous quilters make. Thanks for sharing.

Pat said...

You have to do 40 blocks between now and Saturday??? WHEW...get busy, Miss Denise!!! :) I like your fabric choices and your table setting is so pretty!

Sarah said...

Denise - love those repro fabrics, especially the chedder. I have been looking for more cheddars for my CW quilt that you commented on. I wonder what a cheddar inner border would look like?!

And I'm glad I'm not the only EQ newbie. I would have been too lazy to scan the fabrics altho I might have spent an hour googling for them. Are you a member of any Yahoo EQ groups? There is one I can recommend that has a newbie class starting 9/1/11. She is very strict with completing the lessons on time or you get dropped form the class but some of us like deadlines so it might work out...lemme know if you want more info.