Saturday, August 27, 2011

who knew?

That Civil War blocks would be so addicting?! Not like I've gone overboard and committed to anything, or bought [more] bucket loads of fabric so I can make them . . . perhaps I should stop right there. LOL!

It all started with our Stitcher's block swap. The block we're swapping is not itself a Civil War block, but we agreed that we'd use only Civil War reproduction fabrics for it. I did not know how much I loved Civil War fabrics!

That got me pursuing the history of Civil War quilts and in that pursuit, I found Barbara Brackman -- a wonderful quilt historian-- and her two blogs. One is Material Culture and covers quilt/fabric history in general. The other, Civil War Quilts, is a Civil War block of the week blog, commemorating the sesquicentennial of the Civil War . Up until two weeks ago, I just looked for it every Saturday and read the story.

Two weeks ago, I posted THIS entry; it was a turning point. Today when I checked the CWQ blog, I found the Star of the West block. And I wanted to make it. And so I did . . .

Hmmmm. That *was* rather fun. It's a little late in the game to be creating blocks from a year-long block of the week (I mean this was block number thirty-five), but I am enjoying playing with the fabrics and if nothing else, it's an exercise to improve my piecing (and cutting) skills. And I'm doing something I love to do. Does it get any better than that?!

Speaking of getting any better, I was lamenting over what fabric I'd use for the back of the candlemat I pieced earlier this week. In a search for fabric for something else, guess what I stumbled upon?

Yardage of this Pumpkins Gone Wild print. I think this print, which I picked up a couple of years ago, may have been what started my fabric-crush on orange.

It was meant to be.

:)

4 left a comment . . .:

Barbara F. said...

I may have told you, I LOVE fabric but don't sew! Had lessons years ago but really forgot most of what I learned, but these squares are so pretty. Makes me want to think about lessons again.....hmmmm.....:) xo

Cathy said...

I LOVE that pumpkin fabric. It is so much fun. And perfect for your candle mat. So far, I have resisted the Civil War blocks, but I sure enjoy seeing them when they pop up on peoples' blogs. I am seriously considering doing the Moose on the Front Porch fat quarter stars one, though, that starts at the end of September.

Becky in VA said...

Getting addicted to the Civil War B.O.W. and gorgeous Civil War era reproduction fabrics is something I completely understand. Who can NOT love these fabrics?

It's never too late to start - welcome to the fun!

Becky in VA

Sarah said...

Denise - I'm behind on my CW blocks so there is no problem with you also being "behind" until you get caught up or just make your favorites. I don't think she's taking them down at the end of the year. I hope she posts some kind of index tho.

Today I discovered she is starting a War of 1812 version with monthly technique postings. Starts this Thursday! http://quilt1812warandpiecing.blogspot.com/