Monday, May 14, 2012

back to normal . . .

Whatever that is, right?!

I've got a couple of hodge-podge things on my figurative wall today.  First off, I finished off quilting the top for the Grand Hands pillow.  
The mossy green that I'm going to back it with also backed the quilt itself. The green polka-dot fabric was the binding ... I want to work that in somehow.  It should go off into the mail tomorrow.  Yay!

Next off I was anxious to see about getting that satin fabric prepped and ready to embroider. 
I got out the stabilizer and fused it according to directions.
So far, so good.  It looks quite nice from the front.

But now the question is ... will I be able to trace the design using the lightbox?  I lined up my design . . .
Secured my fabric . . . 
Gosh that's dark!

And *presto* turned on the light . . . 
YES!  That worked quite nicely, actually!
I think this is going to be very pretty and sparkly, especially with the silver metallic floss I'm using!  I'm very glad I used the stablizer.  Not only will it help keep the fabric secure in the hoop, the heavy floss is playing nicely with it, too.

And finally, I'm playing around with designs in EQ for the wholecloth quilting project.
I know I want to use hearts and circles and feathers.  I'm not quite sure what to do in the corners around the hearts, though.  I'll have to keep looking and playing until I get it right.  Then I've got to figure out how to transfer it onto my quilt top!

Do head over to Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times, and check out the rest of the fun design wall posts today!!

We've got a busy week ahead ... tonight is our Batter's Up GLOW event -- cupcakes and baseball are a good mix, don't you think?!  Especially when the cupcakes come from Gigi's!!  LOL!  And then there's a guild meeting with a SUPER speaker ... I'll share more on that later in the week.

Y'all have a great Monday, ya' hear?!

:)

12 left a comment . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love the little hands! And your center piece worked out wonderfully. Enjoy your evening.

Barbara said...

That hands project is great. Are you planning to hand quilt a whole cloth project?

Gari said...

So many super ideas. The hands pillow is great and your embroidery is looking good.

Vicki said...

I reall like you quilting on the green quilt. Love the emboidery, you have many talents!

Zlaty said...

Happy Mothers day Denise! Your idea for the grandkids quilt is adorable! I love love the green pillow! I have to admit green is my favorite color! I am sure you will come up with some good ideas for the whole cloth quilt!

Happy sewing!

Janet O. said...

Everything you do, you do well. That embroidery is going to look super!

Barbara F. said...

Grand hands pillow is such a wonderful idea. You are very talented with quilting and sewing, Denise. xo

Jean said...

Yum! I want a cupcake. Will have to make my niece hit Gigi's when she picks me up.

Sarah said...

Both stitcheries are very delicate!

Kate said...

Amazing how well the light box works. All of your projects are looking great.

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh I just love the satin stitchery! What will it end up being? And I can't wait to see what you end up doing with the wholecloth design. .. I LOVE hearts and it looks like you are on a winning roll here :*)

Bonnie said...

You;ve made progress on a lot of projects. good for you. I like your pillow in the greens. I am so NOT a pillow maker although recently I purchased two pillow forms... what, me, make a pillow? Evidently I think I might make one.

Keep up the progress.