Wednesday, May 16, 2012

a stitch, a pin, a pattern . . .

Do you ever have one of those nights?  I evidently spent too much time collecting sweet little embroidery patterns on my Stitcheries pin board yesterday, because ALL night long I dreamed--in color--about finding the perfect pattern and how I'd stitch and embellish it.  Gracious!

I finished up the bow on my little black dress embroidery block.  I'm one-third of the way through and it's looking good! 
I was so thankful that Lisa, from A Cuppa Tea With Me, mentioned in a comment that she was thankful for Thread Heaven when working with metallic flosses.  What?!  You can use that?!?!  I was having a horrible time with the metallic floss twisting and had considered using the Thread Heaven, but wasn't sure, so I didn't.  After an exchange with Lisa, I *am* using it and what a difference it made!  Whew!  Thanks, Lisa!

I wanted to share a couple of my favorite pins.  I'd posted pictures of some HERE, after being inspired by a story on Madeline Albright, a couple of years ago.  Then my friend Melissa, over at The High Altitude Tea Duchess, mentioned she might do a linky party of blogger's pins, and I knew I had to share!  Just a couple of quick sets . . .
The copper poodle was a gift from my daddy, many years ago.  He brought it home from a convention.  I think I was in 8th grade.   It's the piece I've had the longest (not the oldest, mind you).  The roadrunner actually belonged to Todd's mom's, but I held onto it because it reminded me of my Grandma Willie and their snowbird trips to Arizona.  Her postcards would always have roadrunners on them!  And my chorus pin from high school.  Who holds onto these things besides me?!?

This set is fun ... the "Once Upon A Time" pin was given to me by a darling friend after I met Todd and he proposed (to commemorate finding my Prince Charming and happily ever after.  :)  The monkey pin was a secret pal gift, and was one of my favorite to wear when I was teaching high school (for obvious reasons).  It makes me laugh, as does the computer screen with the cat tagging the mouse!  That was a gift I received during my IT/software troubleshooter years.

Some more whimsical pieces.  The cat tickles me because his tail moves!  The dragonfly just appealed to me because of the colors (oooh!  sparkly, pretty colors!), and the little angel I found in Gatlinburg, TN, one year at a craft show.  It so reminded me of my Pop and the fun art he created with tin cans.  I had to have it (and the sweet matching earrings that went with it)!

Finally, at some point, I need to get busy on a challenge piece for guild.  Our challenge exhibit is next month.  Yikes!  The theme is:
It doesn't necessarily have to be a crazy quilt but the theme of 25 (for our 25 year anniversary) is encouraged ... and gets extra points, too.  I happen to have it on good authority that there will be some awesome prizes and door prizes that night, so I definitely want to give it my best shot.  I've got some ideas ... I just need to flesh something out.  And SOON!

That's it for me today.  Lots of busy things happening up at the camp and I've got to get a move on!  Have a happy Wednesday!!

:)

10 left a comment . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Thank you for sharing all your precious pins - I really enjoyed them.

Cathy said...

Those pins are so cute!!! And your stitchery is looking very lovely. The guild challenge looks like quite a challenge. I hope you have a good day today.

Michelle said...

The monkey pin is cute!

I've dreamed so vividly of knitting lace shawls that it was jolting when I woke up and realized the project didn't exist in reality. We're not obsessed with our hobbies at all, are we?
:-)

Lisa Leggett said...

Oh yay!!! I'm so glad it helped, Denise! I know what a boog, those metallics can be, so I'm always one to spread the word about Thread Heaven. I saw all of your pattern pins last night too, ooohdalalee! I printed several of them, thanks!

Sarah said...

I love the macro/texture show of your metallic embroidery.

Melissa said...

I was running out the door earlier when I stopped by your blog & had no time for a comment. I love your pins! I thought the poodle was embroidery until I took a closer look. I love the embroidery in the first picture. Very beautiful.
Blessings to you and yours my friend.

c. Joy said...

Somewhere around here I've still got a butterfly ring my friend, Denise, gave me in 1971. My 1977 Home Ec student of the year pin. And several other little items from long ago and far away. Enjoy your treasures.

Connie said...

Your embroidery on your little black block looks lovely and what beautiful and special pins you have!

Kate said...

Cute pins!

Pat said...

I have some pins that I've kept now for years, too....I should look at them and take some pictures to show you.