Friday, May 11, 2012

shopping fun . . .

I may have mentioned that one day this past week, after lunch at Emma's, we headed over to JoAnn's to do a little shopping.  I had a little fun ... did a little splurging ... but ALL on purposeful projects!

But first let me show you my pièce de résistance!!
I won a $25 gift certificate to the Fat Quarter Shop from Jane over at Grandmama's Stories!  They were having a special with free shipping if you spent over $40, so I went ahead and took advantage of the offer and picked up this sweet little bundle of fat quarters . . . It's Sandy Gervais' Sassy Collection.  Sweet, isn't it?!  I love the bright oranges and turquoises!  Thanks, Jane!!!  Now all I have to do is decide what to do with it all!!!

Okay, so back to our shopping day.  I had a couple of projects that I needed stuff for.  First I got a coordinating group of fat quarters for a very special project (that I'm not at liberty to talk to much about yet).  
I've pieced it together and am ready to quilt it.  I'll post a picture of it next week!

Next, remember this pretty, sparkly fabric that I got to go with my guild BOM?  
I needed a little something to do a little embroidery on, so I picked up this little black satiny fabric, along with a very sparkly silver embroidery to do the stitching.
I know that the fabric does not really lend itself to stitcheries, so I got some shape flex.  Anyone every used this stuff before?  I'm going way outside the normal quilting boundaries all over the place with this quilt.  It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.
And this is the stitchery I'll do for the center of the quilt.  It'll truly be a commemorative quilt.  Our next guild show, October, 2013, the exhibit quilts will be a display of all the Guild 25th Anniversary BOMs that get completed.  How fun! 

All righty then ... last up is another interesting combination of fabrics.  Joc has a sweet little friend who's due in July.  Her nursery is quite darling, filled with color, and *very* eclectic.  I decided it would not be very easy to coordinate colors and fabrics with what she's already got in place.  Instead, I decided to pick two solids . . . 
This pretty light pink (which is also not a traditional quilting fabric) and for the back, the darker pink flannel  (this photo does not do the colors justice, I promise).  I'm going to do a wholecloth and quilt the heck out of it with this pretty pink thread.  I'm working out how I want to quilt it now.  Her style is very shabby-chic and vintage.  Any thoughts?!?!

We had such a sweet, lovely visit with my folks ... I was so sorry to see them head north!  We had a marvelous trip to the Gardens on Wednesday (I'll try and edit that set of pics to share tomorrow) and then Todd and I shared breakfast with them at Cracker Barrel before they started their trip. 

I leave you on this beautiful Friday with a true parting shot . . . 
Boy and dog and mower ... it doesn't get much better than that, huh?!

Happy weekend!

:)

6 left a comment . . .:

Janet O. said...

Sandy Gervais always designs such fun stuff--it is hard to resist. Glad you were able to get some at a great bargain!
You are always doing so many things. I just couldn't begin to make baby quilts for my daughters' friends. I'd not get much else done--that is so thoughtful of you!
Isn't it great to have a family where the generations gather and actually enjoy each other? So special!

Barbara F. said...

Congrats on the win. That photo of Sawyer with the dog is too cute. I like the monkey print fabric. Have a beautiful Mother's Day, Denise, and I hope it is as special as you are! ((hugs)) xo

Editfolt said...

Very nice fabric. Sawyer and the mower, very good shot.
I still look forward to your plans. You do not even send me a package?
You used the Hungarian spices? What are you made?

Jean said...

Happy Mother's Day!!!!

Congrats on the win... Love your splurges and prizes!

Pat said...

I wish you a very happy Mother's Day weekend, my friend. You are brave to try a quilt with that shimmery and slippery fabric! I have no ideas of how to do that wholecloth quilt for Joc's friend, but you do beautiful work, so I know it will be wonderful....whatever you decide to do.

Sarah said...

Does Sawyer do other lawns? I never got to mine this weekend...

Looks like you had lots of fun shopping.