Thursday, May 31, 2012

goodbye may . . .

I can hardly believe that today is the 31st of May . . . where did the past thirty days go?!  I have relatively little in the way of creative endeavors to show for it, I know that!  On the other hand, I had so much fun with family ... visiting here, visiting in Louisiana, and visiting with children and grandchildren, that I can hardly regret the lack of sewing time!

I did finally stitch the last stitch in my HQH embroidery block.  I think it will look quite lovely in the center of that commemorative quilt!

I also marked the two year anniversary of the accident and my poor little foot by buying not just one, but TWO pairs of Yellow Box flip flops, something I haven't worn, much less purchased, for two summers now!  It's lovely to feel comfortable wearing them again!  I could really probably stand to have a professional pedicure done on my tootsies, too, but the scars on both sides of my ankle and on my heel are still a little too sensitive for me to consider putting them in the hands of a stranger.  Maybe before fall.  My next doctor's appointment is October 1 -- perhaps just before I go back to see the doc!

I have both a niece and a nephew (or, as one of my uncles used to say, "a deniece and a denephew" -- ha ha ha ) who are graduating from high school in the coming weeks.  Between my three sisters we have thirteen children.  They are divided into what we call first and second generation cousins.  Joc (26) and James (25) fall into the first generation, along with Julia's oldest two -- Ben (21) and Cecilia (18), and Cynthia's three -- Matt (23), Megan (20), and Nick (18).  Then the second generation cousins start with Laura's oldest two, Ali (13) and Jasper (11), go back to Julia's youngest two, Hazen (11) and Lucy (8) and finish up with Laura's youngest two, Wendy (5) and Fowler (3).  You'll notice Fowler is just a year older than Sawyer.  It cracks me up.  There was a divide of five years between the first and second generation cousins and while they all love each other very, very much, the first generation cousins had the opportunity to spend a lot of time together growing up, and have a special "cousin" bond.  

ANYway . . . the youngest two of the first generation cousins, Cecilia and Nick, are 2012 graduates.  I'm so proud of them both!  
Cecilia is headed off to George Mason in the fall.

And Nick is headed of to Virginia Tech (joining Cousin Ben) in the fall.

Yup, I'm incredibly proud of both of them -- and of my sisters, too, for doing such a marvelous job of raising such incredible young adults!  Wish I could get to both of their respective ceremonies, but I'll settle for seeing them both at the end of July!

In the meantime, I'll love on my Sawyer and Ellie.  

Tough job I've got, eh?!

:)

10 left a comment . . .:

Mary said...

Yea, I got to read your postings today! Thanks for sharing the achievements of your family. Ellie is holding her head up there pretty nice, trying to get a good look at her "neecey" taking her picture again.

Jean said...

I agree that May went by way too fast. Hope to catch up on my creative endeavors in June... Ok, who am I kidding...LOL! At least I'll try. ;-P

Sarah said...

Definitly a tough job with two cuties to attend to! And I wouldn't worry about the lack of creativity - there's always tomorrow :)

c. Joy said...

Beautiful and smart family - lucky you.

Deanna said...

The babies grow up so fast!

Barbara F. said...

Congrats to the grads. You have a beautiful family.

I thought for some reason that one of your sisters was pregnant again?? xo

Janet O. said...

A couple of good looking young adults. It is all about family, isn't it? Of course, the grands are priceless! : )

Gmama Jane said...

Both of us have so much to be thankful for!! I loved your post! Like I said in my recent post, it is the effort we put into the lives of our family that will remain for eternity.
Blessings
jane

Love Bears All Things said...

Maybe if you explained that all you wanted in the way of a pedicure was the soak, lotion and polish, you would be able to do it.....

I didn't grow up with cousins...my Mother was the oldest and her Mother hadn't stopped having babies when Mother got married....my baby sister is 6 years younger than me and most of the cousins were in her age bracket but some were the age of my Daughter....

Blessings,
Mama Bear

StitchinByTheLake said...

What a great gift families are to us Denice. blessings, marlene