Friday, May 18, 2012

guild night out . . .

Last night, finally, I didn't dream about embroidery patterns and designs.  Instead, I dreamed about kaleidoscope quilt blocks.   LOL!

Last night's guild meeting with Paula Nadelstern was AWESOME!!  She was very real and immensely funny!  And for someone who's not just from New York, but lives in the same block of the Bronx that she's lived in since she was born ... she didn't sound like a stereotypical New Yorker.  Although I did hear a quilter behind me somewhere whisper, "She talks so fast!"  I had to laugh ... I hadn't noticed!

There were five things she asked us to remember about her:

1)  All New Yorkers wear black; she wears black.

2)  There are 360 degrees in a circle; that's all the math she knows.

3)  She's from the Bronx; the only borough of New York City that's attached and won't eventually float off.

4)  When it comes to fabric her personal motto is:  More is more (and she feels sorry for anyone who doesn't get it).

5)  Simply copyrighting a pattern doesn't cut it; register your copyright.  This was a lesson she learned the hard way when she found that a carpet manufacturer had photocopied pictures of her quilts out of her book--published with C&T--and made special carpet from those photocopies for a major hotel.  One in Houston.  Where the major quilt show is.  Luckily for her, C&T did register copyrights and they were finally (after a long battle) able to settle amicably

I did manage to get a picture in ... or rather, I had someone take one of the two of us.  And yes, I definitely asked if I could post it on my blog!  (She did tell us she had a very good lawyer.)

I purchased a swatch of her fabric.  I wanted a little piece of the evening to carry home with me!  
And while I really don't have a desire to do a whole kaleidoscope quilt, I really would like to do a block, playing with fabrics, seeing what the possibilities are.  Or maybe one in jewel toned batiks.  Hmmm...maybe I need to do two blocks.

When I got home, I was telling Todd all about my evening.  When I told him her motto, When it comes to fabric, more is more, he laughed and said she thought like I thought . . . and how he imagined most quilters thought!  I hadn't yet read the inscription she wrote for me:
LOL!  Yup, perfect.  It was a terrific night and if you ever have the opportunity to hear her speak, definitely take advantage of it.  

I'm off to visit my little Ellie-bellie today!  *happy grandma sigh*

:)

11 left a comment . . .:

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh Denise you are so lucky to meet and hear Paula! What a great adventure!!! Her quilts are just magnificent and it would be awesome to see them up close & personal! Enjoy your day with Ellie :*)

Barbara F. said...

Denise, I had to laugh about the "New Yawk" reference. Yes, I love to wear black, and I guess I do talk fast! xo

Barbara said...

It looks like you had fun!

racheld said...

You know I'm Fumble-Fingers with ANY craft, but dreaming of Kaleidoscopes in any fashion---now THAT would be awesome!

Sarah said...

I've seen that "famous" carpet - even posted a photo on my blog and that's how I first heard the story.

BTW - it's NY *City* people that mostly wear black. Us Western NY-ers don't wear it so much :)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

HA - yes, this upper NY person does not wear black either. You sound like you had a wonderful evening.

Grammasheri said...

Thank you for posting your guild night adventures. I've never heard Paula speak but her quilts are gorgeous! Great photo, BTW...

Michelle May said...

Oh what a totally fun evening! She sounds like a riot!
I can't believe someone actually stole her designs from a book and make them into a carpet! Good grief!

Janet O. said...

Sounds like a very fun guild meeting, Denise. Love that motto!
Wow--that is incredible fabric! Look forward to seeing what you do with it. : )

Mary said...

That fabric looks like one you won't want to ever CUT. Just frame the squares! UH, Oh- I get inspiration from hotel carpets...I better watch out.

Pat said...

"More is more"......I am just convincing myself to go through my fabric and get RID of some that no longer interests me and I read THIS???? LOL Now I will probably sit and waffle again about getting rid of any of it.