Thursday, May 17, 2012

live from new york . . .

Tonight is guild meeting night!  I'm especially excited because we've got a real treat for our program.  Our guest lecturer is none other than Paula Nadelstern, queen of kaleidoscope quilting.  Our board takes the speaker out to dinner before the meeting, so I get to have dinner with her, too!  *sigh*  She's doing her lecture tonight on Kaleidoscope Quilts, and then two workshops.  Friday's is NeedleStars and Saturday's is Simple Symmetry.  The only thing is ... she's requested that no photos be taken during her program or of her display quilts.  So I won't have photos to share ... just lots of exuberant chat!  :)

The kids are all back from their trip to the beach.  I got to spend a little time with Sawyer yesterday.  I got there and he was napping, and he did not wake up until his mommy returned!  I stayed a couple of extra minutes to get some Sawyer-loving!
He's super sweet and snuggly after he wakes up ... my favorite time!  Tomorrow will be an Ellie day, so I'll be balanced again.  :)

I wanted to share a slice of nature out here at good ol' Camp MACOBA!  We recently had to move both our platform feeder and the hummingbird feeder.  The squirrels were emptying the first and the raccoons, believe it or not, were draining the hummingbird feeder NIGHTLY!  We moved them both over to our picture window.  Consequently, I'm able to get shots like this . . .
and this . . .
and this little female . . .
and this . . . 
There were three sitting here on the feeder, but I didn't move fast enough and only got two.  

And finally, I thought I'd share a look outside our window first thing in the morning.  It's the squirrel brigade!  I purposefully didn't compress this picture, so if you click on it, it'll be full sized.
How many squirrels can you see?  There were actually four more that I couldn't quite fit into the picture.  We have quite a community!  But they're so darned entertaining!

:)

14 left a comment . . .:

Barbara F. said...

Denise, when I saw your subject line, I got so excited as I thought you had come to NYC!! I guess the guest lecturer is from here? Bummer :( Too bad she won't let you photograph her quilts. I guess she has her reasons. The shots of the hummingbird are wonderful. xo

Melissa said...

I have not seen too many squirrels in our neighborhood this year. I think the foxes are eating well! I was able to visit with my nephew yesterday. He is so busy with school and football I hard;y see him anymore. He is 14 and 5' 10" weighing in at about 170lbs of pure muscle so, 'snuggles' are more of a fleeting hug as he runs off to involve himself in another activity.
Love the pics of the humming birds. You are so cute talking about the guest speaker. I would be the same way if some of the painting ladies I admire ever came to speak (which would also be a miracle as some have passed away!). I would love to fly to Australia and take a class from Patrician Moran or head to California and learn from Joyce Pike. Alas, this is not to be, but I am enjoying my present teacher immensely so I will be content...for now. ;)
So glad you are having such a god time. Blessings!

Rachel's Quilts said...

Paula came and spoke at the guild I attended in Michigan a few years ago. It was a great talk. Enjoy.
Love the hummingbird pictures. Their little feet are adorable.

Cathy said...

What a beautiful place to be able to live, and daily enjoy God's wonderful creations. You are so blessed!!! Enjoy your dinner with a "celebrity"

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Usually teacher/designers who have a patten on their design/process won't allow photos. Love the squirrels - wheres Waldo.

Lee said...

The squirrels bring to mind the scene in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - makes me laugh. There are a lot of hummingbirds in our neighborhood, but I don't entice many here, except for the one that built her nest in a podacarpus tree outside my kitchen window but off to the side. I looked up this morning and a baby head and another beak were staring back at me. Mama was off catching insects - yep, they eat insects as well as drink nectar. Sawyers grin is just so dang cute!

c. Joy said...

Looks like a squirrel convention. I've got to check on my hummingbird feeder - nothing yet, maybe they don't like this year's sugar? Enjoy your meeting.

Mary said...

Looks like you're having good weather also. Hope the squirrels don't scare away the hummers. Cute Sawyer! Enjoy your Guild Mtg, I missed mine last week. Take lots of mental Pics!

Barbara B said...

I'm so excited too! I pick Paula up at the airport shortly and I'm in both workshops. See you at dinner!

Sarah said...

I am sooooo jealous of your hummer photos. Do you only get the ruby throated hummers like we do? I do NOT envy your squirrel population. I borrowed a wild life camera to spy on my bird feeder and low and behold those @#$% squirrels where there more than the birds. I also discovered the neighbor running his remote control car thru my yard! grrrr.

Linda in Calif. said...

Beautiful photos! Your GS is adorable. And I just love the birdies and the squirrels.

Grammasheri said...

You will have to post something about the guild meeting, even if no photos!
You little grandson is such a sweetie. He makes me smile...

Love the view from your window. Here we have bunnies, roadrunners, doves and quail (baby quail look like good-sized bumblebees!). We've had javelina and a bobcat, too! I so enjoy watching the wildlife.

Michelle May said...

Oh my gosh! It's a squirrel convention!! Hilarious!

Pat said...

Sawyer is SO adorable!!! He will be a fun big brother soon!!! Love the hummingbird photos. We are enjoying our baby robins right now for a few more days...I suspect they will be out of the nest by the end of this week. I will miss them.