Monday, January 30, 2012

my design wall is singing . . .

Well, not really.  But if it could, it would, because I've been keeping it relatively busy here of late!

This week I've got my first HQH 25th Anniversary BOM up there, and I'm very pleased with the look of it.

Here's the pattern for the second block:

Here's the colors for the second month (our guild year runs September through August):

And here are the three fabrics I picked:
I'll use the orange and the cream tonals for the stripes, and the black for the corner triangles and the center appliqued square.

This is so much fun!  (I've decided, 2012 is going to be the year of Fun Quilting.)  I mentioned yesterday that I had a project that was begging for new fabric ... I think I need to find some tonal silver or light grey with a sparkley thread of silver running through it.  I mean, since 25 is the "Silver Anniversary", right?! I'll use that as the sashing.  I don't think, after some careful consideration this past week, that I want to use it for the FMQ challenge.  Which means I need to figure something else out for it and pretty darn quick! 

Last, but not least, I also have this . . . 
It's not on my design wall.  Yet.  And I'm not sure what I'll do with it or how, but a quilt WILL come out of this.  It's been bouncing around in my head forcefully enough that I had to at least get it on paper!

Be sure to stop by Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times to see what's up elsewhere!

As for me ... headed to the doc's and **really** hoping to hear happy news!!  Have a TERRIFIC Monday!

:)

17 left a comment . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love your 'rotating rainbow' idea. Have you thought about a bargello with this? Your guild's blocks are delightful - what fun. Good luck on your Drs. visit.

Barbara B said...

Love the sketch, Denise! I don't have any idea for the guild challenge so I'd better give that some thought. Best of luck at the doctor!

Mary said...

I love the sketch! It will be a totally original design.

Gari said...

Wow, such great projects to keep you busy and happy. I wonder what you will be doing with your sketch: the color is wonderful.

Kathie said...

Love the rainbow colors, can't wait to see what you do with them.

Bonnie said...

You have been busy. I would have no idea how to make the design you sketched out. I love the bargello idea or maybe one of the wedge rulers would work... sure that would be a bargello too... good luck. B.

Barbara F. said...

D, you are so good at this! One day you will have a book, I am sure! Good luck at the doc's, xo

Jean said...

Curved piecing?

Kate said...

Great HQH blocks. Have fun with those. Very cool idea for the rainbow project. I like Vrooman's idea on doing it as a bargello project. Will be beautiful however you decide to piece it.

Hope you get good news from the doctor.

Alycia said...

Wow!! You have been busy!! Love that rainbow... I saw a quilt in a similar design... now will have to think where - it might give you an inspiration.... ( or me!!)LOL

Cathy said...

I hope you hear happy news as well. It's been a long stretch from the surgery to now. I really like your rainbow colours sketch. Your BOM blocks are nice, too, and not the typical things that come as BOM's. The theme of "25" is fun.

Linda in Calif. said...

Yes, your design wall is singing! I felt like singing when I saw your yellow block too! LOL!! Good luck at the doctors - and I'll say a little prayer for you right now. You are in good hands, when you are in His hands. :)

AnnieO said...

Love your block and the colors for the next--glad you are having fun and hope you do indeed hear happy news to go along with that pretty rainbow :)

Deanna said...

A whole year of "fun" sewing sounds very healthy to me. Keep up the good work.

Janet O. said...

That is a beautiful rainbow swirl and I will love to see what you do with it.

Mary said...

You are BUSY! Glad you get to kick the Boot soon. I see some Fairy Frost there in your Guild Quilt fabrics. Pretty, but hard to find around my town.

Sarah said...

Your BOM blocks look like a lot of fun - I especially like the look of the next one. Do you think your rainbow would work as (machine) applique?