Sunday, February 09, 2014

another week . . .

With the exception of Tuesday, it looks like *most* of my minutes this week went towards my StitchMAP assignment . . .
And it really doesn't look like I've made a whole lot of progress with it, does it?
I finished the monogram and am now working on the outside border.  This is also a new stitch to me, called "palestrina". 
It's a lovely little knot and there's more work on top of the cloth than there is on the back side.  But it's a little time consuming to make sure that your needle always ends up in the right place and you don't pluck fabric or your previously lain floss in the passing.  Of course, I suppose by the time I'm finished with this (I have to finish the outside border and then stitch it again in the opposite direction in the inner border), maybe I'll be better at it and it will go more quickly.  It probably goes without saying that this will be my Slow Sunday Stitching project!

My stash took a lovely little hit in the wrong direction this week:
I gained those two yards at my Sassy Sewers meeting on Thursday.  One of the gals has recently retired and has had the opportunity to go to Hawaii with her husband (who goes on business) several times.  She brought back with her some of the most gorgeous fabrics . . .
Aren't they beautiful?  Just rich with color and they feel so lovely, too!  I'll take those two yards willingly!  I'll also be linking up the good ol' stash report to Patchwork Times.

I also got some time in "on the needle" this week -- Ellie mentioned that she needed a scarf like Sawyer's.
Well, not just like Sawyer's ... I made hers a little skinnier and a tad longer and fringed it.  We'll see if she'll actually wear it!

And finally, in the midst of all this grey and cold, cold, cold, there are the first indications that Spring really IS on its way!
If that doesn't bring a smile to your winter-weary face, I don't know what will!

Don't forget to check out my book review of Shades of Mercy and the book giveaway, HERE. Happy Sunday!

:)

16 noted . . .:

Dee Dee said...

Lucky you getting that great Hawaiian fabric. I think everyone is ready for spring.

Valerie Reynolds said...

Thanks for the smile and hope of SPring!

Cindy Nielsen said...

Those are beautiful fabrics from Hawaii. Lucky you!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Well it is snowing here at the moment so I'll enjoy your sign of spring :)

Teresa in Music City said...

What an interesting stitch that is! Isn't it fun to learn new things? I am SO jealous of your new stash acquisitions - absolutely LOVELY!

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my goodness.. flowers starting to push their way through?!?! We won't see that for another 2 months.
Loved that new stitch you are learning... it looks challenging but the texture of it is lovely!
Thanks for linking up and sharing your project at Slow Sunday Stitching!

Kate said...

The embroidery piece is looking great, that border stitch really makes it stand out.

Very pretty additions to your stash.

Jean(ie) said...

Asign of spring..... YAY! So is that stitch a variation of the boullion stitch?

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Thank you for the link to the stitch - wow! That is quite pretty , but can see where it is time consuming and the need for being precise. Oh, little flowers soon - so precious.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Thank you for the link to the stitch - wow! That is quite pretty , but can see where it is time consuming and the need for being precise. Oh, little flowers soon - so precious.

Beth in MN said...

Oh!! I needed to see the green peeking through the leaves. Since we are buried under a lot of snow, it will be a while before I see any green.
The stitching you are doing is awesome but very time consuming. Good for you.

Momof3girls said...

I saw our local weather and we're supposed to get snow and sleet Monday night into Tuesday afternoon. We're in central Louisiana, so I don't know what that means for you all. :/

Janet O. said...

That stitch looks complicated. More power to you! : )
Oooo, pretty fabrics! Who could resist?
Good grandma, to make Ellie a scarf, too, whether she wears it or not. : )
Spring? Ha!!

Dar said...

Your slow stitching project is looking good and that outer stitch looks challenging. We got more snow today and sub zero temps tomorrow, so it will be a bit before we see any green. Thanks for the preview.

Gina said...

beautiful fabrics. Who wouldn't take them xx

Sarah said...

Such gorgeous fabrics!! Do you know what you'll do with them yet? I am looking for ideas as Mom brought me some FQs from their Hawaiian layover a couple summers ago. Maybe they will bring me Alaskan fabric this summer??!!