Friday, February 28, 2014

where i've been . . .

So, evidently not only did I leave my voice at Grand Oak Retreat, but I brought home a case of walking pneumonia, as well.  Which, in a weird way, makes me feel a little better about my lackluster performance (what I worked on) while I was there.  I was so tired the entire time . . . now I know why!

I also realized I hadn't shared hardly any fun pics from my time with Ellie, the three days prior to retreat! We had such fun together!  She was very intrigued with my bin of *embellishments* . . .
So much so that I had to pull some BIG buttons together for her to play with while I stitched with bitty beads. It was so darling to watch/listen to her play with them.  
She'd pour them on the table and say, "Clean up, clean up!" Scoop them back into her cup and pour them out again.  I got a good sixty minutes of stitching in while she played the button game!

We also made teacup cupcakes!  Oh my gosh, these silicone teacup holders are so precious.  Kim had gotten them for me for my birthday . . .
Ellie enjoyed helping make them, but she *really* enjoyed eating them!  They were a big hit -- I need to get another set of four, I think!

We also spent some time on the playground . . . girlfriend can swing all day!
I loved the way she'd throw her little head back and shout, "Wheeeeeeeeee!!!"

And we watched a movie together . . .
This was during a particularly suspenseful part of the Little Mermaid.  Look how grown up she looks!

I did get a few things put together on retreat, but not nearly as much as I'd wanted or hoped to.  First thing out of the box, I did up the two starstruck blocks for our guild swap . . .
The theme for this month was red and white.  Sweet!

Then I stitched up this little table topper . . .
Recognize the fabrics?  I wanted to get it sandwiched and quilted, too . . . I'll save that for another day.

I did get a Grandmother's Choice block pieced . . .
I like the "T's" in this one!

And I did a lot of handwork, both on my Celtic Garden and on my secret little project (of which I'll share just a tiny corner):
Actually, I spent a LOT of time on the little mug rug project.  Hand work was my favorite!  I've spent a lot of time this week working on my Celtic Garden.  The Colonial knots are finished and I'm almost finished knotting the light green French knots in the center hedges.  Then on to the flower gardens!

And of course, what's a retreat without a tee-shirt?!  
This year's offering -- great colors!

And I enjoyed some spectacular sunrises.  I took one panorama photo.  Simply stunning!
It's not compressed, so when you click on it, it'll be full sized.

We had a total of fifteen women . . . all chit-chatting and oooohing and aaaahing over each other's work.  I love this group of gals . . . 

And of course, the "can't-do-without" gag shot.  Some of us are better at this than others!

I hope to be back in full swing by next week, but I admit, I'm still dragging a bit.  I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired!!  I'm ready to usher in health *and* Spring!!

Happy Friday!!

:)

12 noted . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a cutie she is!!! Oh, I do hope you get better soon.

Jean(ie) said...

:-) Mug rug... tee hee!

WOW that is a beautiful retreat space!I wish ours was as nice. Ours is a rustic church camp. Very damp and musty.

I do hope you're feeling better each day. This crud has been just awful. All my friends have it. Not fun at all!

Jeanie said...

Looks like a lovely retreat with lots of fun! Hope you feel much better soon.... I think we are all ready for some warmer weather. Take care.

Janet O. said...

Your "Ellie Time" looks like a blast!
I think you accomplished a lot of stuff--in spite of WP. Prepare for plenty of down time. At least that has been my experience. You will get so much hand work finished! Won't that be fun? (Trying to play the glad game here!)
BTW, you do the gag shot very well, girlfriend!! : )

Sarah said...

That's it - teach her now that buttons are a good thing!! And yes, She does look quite grown up in that profile. The inside of your retreat facility is just as great as the outside. Looks like you had fun accomplishing what you did. Can't wait to see that secret project tho!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Ellie is just so cute!
I hope you feel better soon. Please rest and take care of yourself. Pneumonia is nothing to trifle with! Ask me how I know! Take care

Needled Mom said...

It looks like you and Ellie had a great time together and the retreat looked like fun too. What a bummer to come home with pneumonia. I hope you feel better soon.

Marsha Hodgkins said...

My goodness! I think you got a lot of things done for someone with pneumonia ! Take care of yourself as that stuff can creep back.
Love the Ellie Antics!

Quilter Kathy said...

HOpe you're feeling better. It's such a bummer to feel unwell at retreat! So glad you could still go. I see a Temecula Valentine's quilt on the design wall... reminded me to get going on mine!

Mary said...

Sorry you got walking Pneumonia. Do you have the boogie woogie flu too? Sorry that ear bug came into my head just now had to share it! Fun retreat with a bunch of ladies. I'm waiting for weather to retreat in the mountains. Ellie is just precious! Love the teacup cupcakes. YUMMY looking. Get better quick!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Sorry you've been sick. No fun! Give yourself time to get over it.

Kate said...

Hope you are feeling better. Even though you were dragging a bit you got a lot done.

Elle is a little cutie. Love those cupcake shots!