Wednesday, February 12, 2014

wow, snow blow out . . .

Lesson learned.  Usually I don't let myself get all worked up by the weather forecasts. But they were all so sure and hyped up about the 'snowmageddon' of North Alabama, that I bought into it. I mean gosh ... GROCERY STORES closed their doors EARLY last night in anticipation of the event. Plus we'd already had a lovely dusting that they *weren't* expecting on Tuesday morning . . . 
So, against my better judgment, I bought into it.  Serves me right . . . I am SO disappointed!!  We woke up this morning to *nothing* ... blah ... and now it's raining ... blah.  And while they continue to pitch the snow, it continues to rain. Again, blah.  Blah, blah, BLAH!!!

On a (much) brighter note, I not only finished piecing my snowflake . . .
(Yes, that's the actual, not a photoshop illusion!) I also went ahead and got it quilted and bound!
My quilting was some very simple stitch-in-the-ditch quilting around the snowflake and the outer pieces. With sparkly thread.  :)  I'm calling it Midnight Snow.  It's all the snow I've got.  LOL!

I've also made some progress on my Celtic knot garden . . .
Working on the hedge knots, now.  Tedious, but it'll be worth it in the end!  One thing I quickly learned with the colonial knot is that shorter working thread is better. I'm working a line of the hedges until I catch up to myself.  Then I'll start the other side.  I have to admit, I'm looking forward to getting to the French knots!

And hey -- today is the last opportunity to make a comment and enter to win a copy of Shades of Mercy! Click HERE for a chance to win!

Linking up today to Esther Aliu's WIPs on Wednesdays (WOW)!

:)

22 left a comment . . .:

Barbara F. said...

Cute windshield, i can deal with snow like that! Haha. Love that initial B too. :-)0. xo

Teresa in Music City said...

Yeh, we missed out on all the fun too! My kids however have about 10 inches by now and it's supposed to keep snowing through tomorrow! Thankfully my son's FIL has a huge tow truck and a generator, so if the power goes out he can go get our daughter Renee and little Hudson who live alone. Thank God for provision in times like this!!!!

LynCC said...

Wow - I love your snowflake quilt. :D Isn't it crazy, how the media is way over-board hyped about weather? Drives me nuts. Drives my aunt in rural New Jersey even more nuts with their hyperboles about "historic" storms that aren't anywhere near as bad as weather they had 3 or 5 years ago. . . heh!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Wonderful Stars! I keep waiting for our first snowflake here in Texas.....they keep saying...:(

Sarah said...

While your Midnight Snow certainly can't make up for the real white stuff, it certainly is pretty. And finished!! Whoo hoo!

Uhh...I had no idea there were so many kinds of knots. I guess I've only ever made French knots and haven't made them well...

Janet O. said...

Midnight Snow is gorgeous, Denise!
I am really questioning your sanity on this knot stuff! I can barely make two even snowman eyes on a piece of stitchery--who in the world can sit and make knots for hours? I guess you can! : )
It will be a stunning accomplishment, my dear!

Melissa Labella said...

I'm with you on the blah weather. DH closed his business(es) until 11 am in anticipation of the weather, oops.

I did a piece in college with A Lot of French knots as flowers for my brother (I wonder what ever happened to that…). I need to research the other types of knots, who knew? your piece is going to be beautiful.

I am practicing my turned edge appliqué and catching up on paperwork these boring weather days :0) Stay dry .

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Those forecasters never know what is going to happen. Oh well. Your snowflake turned out great.

Melissa Bishop said...

It is looking great! Did you read about the 'Light in the Valley' quilt design that is copyrighted and is being vigorously protected by the owners of said copyright? Was previously created & copyrighted by an Amish lady. Some folks bought it from her and are being very strict about the copyright. I did not know you could copyright quilts!

Mary said...

My snow is almost all gone. 50 degrees does that around here. Hope Dh's Truck will start now. I've been snowbound and without a car except for Monday this past two weeks. Sparkly thread too. YEA for getting it totally finished.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Love, love, love your snowflake block! They told us this week we would get 5 or 6" of snow so I had my grandson bring in wood and move furniture away from the gas fireplace (my husband is away on a mission trip). Not. One. Flake. blessings, marlene

Jean(ie) said...

The kids in Cullman got more. Sounds like you need to move to Cullman! LOL!

Kate said...

The Snowflake block turned out beautifully! Love the name too!

Karen Titus said...

I love your snowflake block and quilting. Its stunning.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I'd take your snowflake block over all the snow. Very pretty and I love the Celtic stitching.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Your snowflake turned out great! And we got all your snow at this end of the TN Valley. Five and a half inches this morning and we have about four more hours of snow to go! Stay warm and dry!

Lyndsey said...

All we get here in London is predictions of rain and lots and lots of rain. I want some snow and if it's not going to snow can we move on to summer! I love the projects you are working on and the Celtic garden will be beautiful when finished.

Missy Shay said...

Your snowflake turned out gorgeous!

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Gorgeous quilt...so much creativity! Thanks for sharing on the Thursday Blog Hop! Stay Warm!

Kris said...

It's raining here too and I live in northern Utah!! Most of our huge piles of snow have been rained away!! And your Midnight Snow block is perfect!! It'll be hard to turn into that 2026 full-sized quilt with all that binding around the edges!! :-))

Needled Mom said...

Weather forecasters......the only job in the world where you can be wrong so often and STILL keep your job.

LOVE the snowflake!!!!

Katherines Corner said...

we need snow here!!! giggle. Thank you for helping to make the Thursday Favorite Things Blog hop so much fun. Big Hugs ♥