Saturday, February 08, 2014

a review: shades of mercy

I just finished up Shades of Mercy by Anita Lustrea and Caryn Rivadeneira as my January "book review" read (part of my Bibliophile Files challenge). I wasn't sure what to expect, because I'd never read anything by either of the two authors, but when Moody Publishers contacted me and offered me the opportunity to read and review the book, I eagerly responded, "Yes!"

A quick review of the authors on their Amazon listings let me know that they were both women after my own heart, particularly Lustrea, who's quoted as being a "self identified hot tea snob". Good enough for me! :)

This was a wonderful, coming-of-age read.  In addition, it was historical fiction, which is one of my favorite genres.  The story covers a period of time in Maine's history when native Maliseets (among other Indian tribes) had been pushed out of their homes and land and into terrible living conditions, and then the push to restoration. It's not a part of American history I was familiar with, and so I found the story all the more fascinating.

The main characters are Mercy Millar, the young daughter of a well-established (and well-respected) farming family, and Mick--a Maliseet boy--who is a farmhand that works for the Millars.  Mercy and Mick practically grow up together on the farm until the day that their friendship blossoms into young love.  Not an acceptable pairing in the eyes of the community.

The story takes us through the paranoia, strife and anger that are typical when racial tensions escalate.  But throughout it all, the Millar family clings close to a Christian belief that all are created equal in the sight of God, and all are deserving of His mercy and grace.  And then the Millars take it to that next step and actually do something about it.  

The book trailer does a great job of giving a teasing overview of the story:

Not your typical boy-meets-girl romance fluff -- Shades of Mercy was a wonderful, thoughtful read and left me wanting more.  Based on the prologue and the epilogue (the epilogue completely took me by surprise -- by that time I'd forgotten the three page prologue that started the story off), and the "A Maine Chronicle" subtitle, perhaps I'll be in luck and a follow-up story will ensue!

I highly recommend Shades of Mercy *and* if you're interested, I have FOUR copies to give away!  Leave me a comment letting me know you're interested. Hey, and for my fabulous followers, established or new, let me know in a second comment how you follow and you get *two* chances to win!  I'll wrap this up next Thursday, February 13.

:)

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from River North Fiction, 
division of  Moody Publishers, as part of their Blogger Review program. I was not 
required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am
disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: 
"Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.

26 noted . . .:

gpc said...

I love to read! :)

gpc said...

I'm a happy follower, too. :)

Kate said...

It's sometimes so hard to find a good book! Sounds like this one worked for you.

Janet O. said...

Sounds like good reading for a soak in the jetted tub after a long, cold day! : )

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've always loved historical fiction. Sounds like a good read. Thanks for the chance.

Jean(ie) said...

Hot tea snob.. Bwahahahahaha. Pegged ya alright. LOL!

Jean(ie) said...

You already know how I follow [stalk] you! :-)

Happy Saturday

Gene Black said...

I am interested indeed! I would love to read this.

Gene Black said...

at this point, I am your newest follower!

Michelle said...

Thank you for the chance to win this book. Sounds like an interesting read.

Michelle said...

I follow you on Bloglovin.

Missy Shay said...

I would love to read this book! It sounds really good!

Missy Shay said...

I follow you on Bloglovin'

Kris said...

Well, my dear, dear friend, I have not been around much for the past few weeks - its that dang job thing going on, but the job is great and once I get back into a routine, I too will have time to read!! Wow, what a concept!! I looked down through your posts and I see you have been happily busy with family (love the cows) and projects!! Your book sounds really good and you know I would follow you anywhere!! Lots of love!! :-))

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Now this sounds like a book I would love to read. Anita Lustrea is one of the hosts to Midday connection on Moody Radio. Thanks!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

And I am a long time follower :-)

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Need this book to curl up with by the fire!!!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

I follow you with Bloglovin.

Teresa in Music City said...

Sounds like a great read - I'd love to win a copy! Thanks for the great review :)

Teresa in Music City said...

And of course I'm a happy follower!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I'm interested....:)

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I'm a follower.

Sarah said...

Would love a chance to win so I can count it for my challenge too! LOL!

Sarah said...

And I follow you by Bloglovin!

Melissa Labella said...

I am always looking for a good clean read. Sound like a good one to read with a nice cup of hot tea :0)

Melissa Labella said...

and I follow you on blogspot.com, which I guess is Google? I get confused on all the crossover stuff.