Friday, February 07, 2014

fun stitching day . . .

Yesterday's time with the Sassy Sewers was such fun!  It's a hodge podge of happenings ... some women bring their sewing machines, some don't, some bring embroidery machines, and some bring craft projects. They meet on Thursdays (it used to be first and third, but I think it's slowly morphing into an every Thursday event) at the District #1 Madison County Shed -- in the large group room.  They set up the tables for us and there's a nice kitchen and bathrooms -- and it's free!

The women are fun and funny and there's great camaraderie (as there typically is in stitch groups)!  I meant to grab a group picture, but I forgot!  But I did grab some photos of some of the things that were brought for show and tell . . .
Nancy had made this darling little setup to keep her working thread and bobbins in order! I love the felt buttons.  Too cute!
All of the ladies had worked on one of these folded stars. Isn't this *gorgeous??? Shirley used hers as a center for a really pretty table topper.  The pattern is a Moda Bake Shop offering (and is actually for a potholder -- our group modified the setting) and can be found HERE.
And isn't this heart pincushion darling?  Shirley brought one for each of us!! It's a semi-homemade ornament. She found the heart shaped Christmas felt ornaments on sale for a bargain, and covered up the Christmas sentiment with a pink felt heart that she hand-stitched on.  Great job!
And this was the project several of them worked on yesterday (usually there's a group project offered). This cute little tea towel with the mason jars is the sample -- Ellen's offering.  I grabbed the pattern for later use! You can too ... the pattern and tutorial are found on a really cute blog called Flamingo Toes.
And what did I work on?  My celtic knot embroidery.  I got the knot transferred and stitched the monogram. It uses a stitch I'd never used before, called the "heavy chain stitch".  I really like the look of it and it was an easy stitch to manage.  There's a great illustration (and tutorial) of this stitch at Sarah's Hand Embroidery Tutorials.  I know, I know ... I didn't do a whole lot for three hours I was there ... but you've got to figure in the fellowship factor *and* the eating lunch factor.  LOL!

And of course, what kind of Friday would it be without a feline?
Leia says, "Happy Friday!"  (Haha ... actually, I think Leia was growling at me when I grabbed this shot.  No surprise there, eh?!)  I'll link her up anyway to sarah did it! and the Feline Friday linky party!

Happy Friday!!  (I mean it.)

:)

10 left a comment . . .:

Janet O. said...

Well, I think you had a lot to show for your time with the Sassy Sewers--just not necessarily stuff you did! *LOL*
We all need extra doses of the "fellowship factor" sometimes, and that can take priority over the sewing. And lunch--definitely lunch!!
There are so many fun and clever ideas here.
I think Leia was really saying "Get out of my face!!"

Teresa in Music City said...

What cute projects! Almost as cute as Leia :*) I love sit-n-sews!!! And like you, the best part is seeing what everyone else is making :)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

So many little pretties - always fun to stitch with others.

Mary said...

Sit and sew- sounds fun! glad you have sewing friends to and spend time with. They are very creative. I miss going out to sew with my Quilt buddy, Lynn.

gpc said...

What great projects - that star is amazing! :)

Jean(ie) said...

I love sew days! They are so fun! We have one coming up for the 22 and 23. I can't wait!!!

Sarah said...

Leia was definitely getting ready to say *something*!!!! Your celtic knot is going to be gorgeous no matter how long it takes!

Kate said...

Cute and fun projects. Your Celtic Knots is looking good. Have a fun weekend (maybe we'll get warmer too?)

Love Bears All Things said...

i had to look up the address and see how close it was to me out here in Monrovia....we have a New Market Homemakers Club...I wonder if some of these ladies would be interested in attending that...Its a small group and we're always looking for new members...I'm the County President this year.
Mama Bear

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I would LOVE being able to participate in a sit and sew!! The best I can manage is a semi-annual one-day retreat offered by a former quilt shop owner. The next one is in April ... I can't wait. I haven't really connected with anyone yet, although the women around my table were all friendly. I'd like to make a friend or two who I can get together with more than a couple of times a year. Maybe in April?