Monday, July 09, 2012

christmas trees, stars, and stripes . . .

It's design wall Monday and I actually have stuff going on!  Whoohoo!

First up are these two gorgeous Christmas fabrics I happened upon last week.  I love the tiny holly leaves, berries, and flowers in the print!  
While I was in the shop, I saw a set of napkins they'd made, folded like Christmas trees.  You probably know what I'm talking about, because evidently they're all over the place!  It was the first time *I'd* ever seen anything like it though, and I was totally captivated!  They had the book with the pattern, but I figured I could probably come up with something doing a quick google search, so I picked out my pretty fabrics for them and headed home.

Sure enough . . . do a google search on "half circle napkin Christmas tree" and here's but a few of the pages you'll come up with:


And there were plenty more, trust me!  They are all mostly the same ... sizes may vary a bit.  A couple used rick-rack to trim the edges.  But for the most part you can't go wrong with any of 'em.  I decided, before I cut into my yummy, lovely fabric, to try a couple of mock ups with some extra Christmas yardage I already had.  This is what I came up with . . . 
Not bad for a first try, flying by the seat-of-my-pants!
I love 'em!  I did a 1/4" hem around the finished edges in silver thread to add a little bling (of course).  I can't wait to do these in the pretty fabrics!

I've also got a little red, white and blue action going on, for a patriotic piece.  I'm firm with my white and blue choices, but still debating the red options.
 I'm thinking the one in the center is my favorite.  Truest red.

I can hardly believe that my little Eleanor is 25 weeks . . . and tomorrow she will be exactly 6 months old, to the day and date.  Gracious, gracious.  
She's such a happy little darling!  Oh -- but do you want a shock then a laugh??  Check out Joc's current blog post.  They have a graphic designer friend who sees things a little . . . differently.  To say the least!

I'm off for a weigh-in appointment this morning (!!!!!) and then Todd and I are headed over to the Madison Baptist Association to meet/greet the new Director of Missions and his wife.  *You* should head over to Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times and check out the other delicious design walls going on!  

Happy MONDAY!

Oh!  Ps ... this little fellow stopped me short as I was coming into the camp yesterday afternoon (top center of the photo -- the yellow at the base of the photo is the hood of my car): 
He looked a little thick and was moving a little slow ... probably had recently had a nice mous...errrr, meal!

:)

8 left a comment . . .:

Teresa in Music City said...

Love your little Christmas tree napkins! I saw them on FB this morning :*) Can't believe Ellie is already 6 months! Wow! They grow so fast. She's such a cutie pie!!!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

We did the tree napkins with a sewing group last year and they were a big hit. Wow, a 6 month milestone! You can keep the snake.

Janet O. said...

Very cute tree napkins!
Oh, how could they do that to such a sweet photo of little Ellie--creepy! : )

Rachel B. said...

Like the napkins - would make a great gift for my mom or MIL.
Happy 6 months to Ellie. Love the picture.

Sarah said...

I've seen those napkins at our guild meeting but never in christmas fabric so the tree never dawned on me. Cool! As for the RWB fabrics...I kinda like the top red since it reads as the strongest in the photo along with the strong blue. just my 2 cents...

Kate said...

Love the napkins, what a great Christmas gift idea.

Love the Elle's alter ego. That's quite a rework on the photo!

Editfolt said...

I love christmas photo.

c. Joy said...

Thanks for the napkin idea, very clever.