Saturday, July 07, 2012

flip-flops, toddlers, and travel . . .

Not too long ago, I saw a Pinterest pin that really caught my eye.  It was a wreath, for one thing (which if you've ever seen my wreath board on Pinterest, you know I have a thing for wreaths) and it was made up of flip-flops and daisies, for another, which simultaneously made me smile and brought to mind my dear friend Miranda, who loves both.  I just knew she needed to have this wreath ... whether she made it or I did!  I sent her a link ... and she fell in love with it ... and next thing you know, she's purchased the supplies and we're having a wreath-crafting day!
First we laid out the grapevine (which was huge -- 24") and placed the flip-flops and flowers about where we wanted them.  Then I took a picture so that when I took it all off again, I had a reminder of where we'd put things in the first place!
It took us about three hours (of course, we did visit and chat in there, too), but I definitely think the final product was worth every minute!
I think we've created a monster . . . she told me she now needs a wreath for that space for Spring, Fall and Winter!  LOL!

I spent last evening with my Sawyer.  We had a grand old time!!  We built block houses . . . 
And Sawyer pretended he was the demolition crew!

He had his stuffed dinosaur friend and his Dinos Roar quilt with him . . .

An orange popsicle after dinner made for a fun treat!  I love that grin!

He's a very good teeth-brusher, too (which he needed to be, especially after that popsicle!) . . . 

A new library shirt sent from his Great Grandma and Grandpa in Maryland!
Dream Big!  Perfect for a sleep shirt!

Night-night time ... all tucked in with his quilt.  
This sweet picture does this Neesey's heart a world of good!

And finally, this week's Foto Finish theme on Cat Patches is "travel".  I've been incredibly blessed in my opportunities to travel all over the United States and to many countries, as well.  But I think the trip that was most eye opening to me was the trip to Moscow, Russia, in November, 2004.
This shot was taken in Red Square and is of St. Basil's Cathedral.  On the left you can see the hotel where we stayed ... the Rossiya Hotel, which held the official record as the world's largest hotel for quite a number of years, but now no longer exists.  It was demolished just one year after our visit.  It was an incredible trip.  Looking back through the pictures I took, it finally dawned on me why so much of the architecture there is painted or gilded so brightly ... because the sky is always so grey!  Linking up to Cat Patches' Foto Finish with this one!

Happy Saturday!

:)

10 left a comment . . .:

Dirt Road Quilter said...

Oh, that wreath is so cute and how fun to create it with a friend! It turned out darling and you can't help but smile when you see it. I love how Sawyer drags his dinosaur quilt around!

Barbara F. said...

I saw your flip flop wreath on Twitter, it is really cute. Love the colors. Sawyer is getting so big and of course a real cutie. xo

Mama Spark said...

That wreath is amazing!! And I agree that grin is so hot I have no idea how that popsicle didn't melt!!

Teresa in Music City said...

What a cute, cute little (well, maybe big!) wreath!!! So happy and summery and FUN!!! And even better to be creating with a friend - lovely :*) Your day with Sawyer was just perfect with all the major fun groups: quilts, popsicles, grandmas, and block tower destructions!!!

Jean(ie) said...

Loving the wreath...

Lee said...

Love the whimsy of the flipflops and daisies wreath. I wasn't sure at first...but the finished product is very attractive. And the Sawyer posts - hard to pick a fave - toss up between working on those pearly whites and pulling his dino quilt behind as he heads down the hall.

Love Bears All Things said...

That is so pretty...almost like in a fairy tale..
Sawyer is so sweet.
Mama Bear

Connie said...

What a neat wreath and such cute photos of Sawyer! Wow was that a beautiful hotel, what a shame it was demolished!

Sarah said...

The wreath just screams "happy" - love it! How funny that MD has the same summer reading theme as NY - I am in charge of the craftapalooza event tonight. And just as I am typing this comment the library director is texting me with updates. weird!

Kate said...

Love the flip flop wreath, very fun. Great shot from Russia. I love all the bright colors they use.