Tuesday, July 10, 2012

decluttering . . .

Thanks to Jocelyn, I found a great blog . . . Keeper of the Home . . . and she's issued a challenge.  One I desperately needed!
Yes.  Eight week to a less cluttered home.  I'm so amazed at how fast I collect clutter.  And in our little RV space, it becomes obvious *very* quickly!  She has a plan of action that you can follow ... and no matter that we're on the second week, day seven ... you can download the pdf booklet she's prepared and start whenever you're ready!  She's also got a facebook page dedicated to the project, where she's making daily updates and folks can post pictures of their own progress.  There are quite a few "playing" along!

The idea is to take small sections of your home and spend thirty minutes (give or take) going through those sections.  For example, Day 1 is Kitchen drawers- Cutlery and cooking utensils.  As you view the items in that section, screen them through the following criteria:  

Is this beautiful? 
Is this useful? 
Do I really think it's worth it to have this in my home? (Worth the cost, space, maintenance, time and energy, etc.)

Your goal is to find at least ten items in each section that don't meet the criteria.  Whether you give it away, sell it, or trash it is entirely up to you.  The booklet is full of tips and ideas and helpful hints and encouragement!  And you may not have all of the sections in your home that she does.  For example, she has two days dedicated to children's books -- I don't have any of those -- so instead, I'm giving those two days to my two sets craft drawers.  The point isn't to do it *exactly* like she has, but to make it work for you!

So far, I'm on Day 10 (I'm working a little ahead because I'd like to be finished with this before I head to Virginia/Maryland at the end of the month).  Here's my pile of 'reject' stuff:
Pretty impressive, huh?  There's better than 90 things right there and that's not even including the stuff I've tossed -- or already donated to the Camp's kitchen.  I'm so excited!  I wish I'd taken before/after pictures last week.  Especially when I did under the bench seats at the kitchen table.  That's where my quilting books were.  Haha!  I didn't give up too many of those.  But I did organize them and was able to move them to the other side; because the other side was filled with junk I didn't need to keep!

So?  What's cluttering your home?  Are you up to this challenge?  Dive in!

:)

9 left a comment . . .:

Judy Laquidara said...

Thanks for the link. I desperately need to declutter.

Barbara F. said...

Hi Denise, I have spent some weeks de-cluttering still have lots to do but I did make a dent. I plan on posting about it, too. I am enjoying laying low, doing my housework, trying to do yard work (just too dayum hot for me!) and visiting my blog list. I should be posting soon. xo

Janet O. said...

I can't even go there right now. Some corners of my home could use it, but I know I don't have time. I'll have to save the link for future use. Thanks!

Michelle said...

You know, that whole process would be way easier for someone who didn't have a husband with opinions on what should be kept or thrown out! :-)

Kris said...

Denise - Sounds like a great plan but I have an even better one - it only takes about 10 days to 2 weeks - MOVE!! LOL!! Worked for me!! I went from a 1700 square foot home to 2 small bedrooms in my landlady's home!! Of course my two rooms are bursting at the seams, but ya know . . . nothing is perfect!! :-)

Lee said...

Some years ago I was following Fly Lady ~ I really liked her system ~ but somewhere along the line, I fell off the wagon and it's been a struggle to get back on. With a kitchen remodel pending at the first of the year, I need to get started...somewhere! I'll take a look at this :)

AnnieO said...

It is exhausting making all those decisions but once done, it sure feels good. I'll have to take a look at the link because working with a dedicated section is a great idea!

Jean(ie) said...

I do regular de-cluttering missions. After living in an RV as well, I learned what I *really* use.

Small space living really puts what you need/want into perspective.

Sarah said...

I also followed my version of FlyLady once upon a time but I fell off the wagon. I still do some of the techniques but I need to get back to some decluttering on a weekly basis instead of 3 days before townwide yard sales.