Thursday, July 19, 2012

nature's provision . . .

I was out yesterday watering my sweet little hanging baskets . . . 
Aren't they pretty? While I was standing there, the front door caught my eye. 
I love wreaths. Have I ever mentioned that? I really do enjoy a pretty wreath. I like indoor wreaths and outdoor wreaths and they are oh-so-seasonal and fun! Since Pinterest has come along, I've had the opportunity to pin quite a few different styles of wreaths . . . four hundred sixty-seven, to be precise. And out of all those wreaths, there is one in particular that has stuck in my mind. One that I *know* I have to make ... it *has* to hang on my door.
Source:  Martha Stewart
Isn't it pretty?  Simple but unique.  A Sweetgum-Fruit Wreath.  I want this wreath.  I will make this wreath.  My only problem?  Where to get the ... uh ... "fruit".  I knew we had a sweetgum tree at the Hunter Road property, but I haven't been able to get over there in the daylight to check it out.  Then coming up the road the other day, I noticed that the branch that had been laying there for a couple days ... it had something.  I stopped the car and put it in reverse, and sure enough, what was laying in the road was sweetgum-fruit!  Whoot, whoot!

So yesterday afternoon I took a little walk (not far -- this tree is less than fifty feet from the RV).  Isn't it a grand tree?
And what to my wondering eyes did appear?

Yup . . . this tree is just bursting with the things!

And then I spied a branch that had just recently fallen . . .
It was *loaded*!  

By the time I'd finished "culling the crop" I had a tidy pile . . . 
Almost enough for a wreath, I'm sure . . . 
Or something . . . 
Or another . . .
I'm sure I'll find something happy to do with all these.  And who knows, maybe I'll find enough to do two (or three or four) of these lovely wreaths!!

Definitely linking up to Thursday Favorite Things at Katherine's Corner!

Full day today, ending with a guild meeting!  Our speaker tonight is Bettye Kimbrell who's going to share, among other things, her leaf-pounding technique!  Should be loads of fun!!  Bettye is a national speaker, but luckily for us, she's a local girl.  I'm really looking forward to seeing her trunk show.  I'll be sure to take pics and share!

:)

19 left a comment . . .:

Lee D said...

Nice wreath. I have never heard or seen a tree like that. looks like a chestnut on steroids. definitely a southern tree. happy wreath making

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Lucky you to have one right in your door yard! They are so pretty in their green as well as mature brown. I think there is a 'mouse' ornament you can make with them??

Linda in Calif. said...

Well, God sure is good to you. I haven't seen those green before, just dried. Are they edible since they are called "fruit"? I'm so happy for you that out of all those wreaths you will be able to make the one you like the most.

Jean(ie) said...

I love your front porch. It's so inviting!

Only 467 wreaths? You gotta get crafting, gurl. bring on the florist wire, spikes, and hot glue!!!! The sweet gum wreath will look awesome with pumpkins!

Teresa in Music City said...

What a cute wreath that will make!!! We have a sweet gum tree in our front yard at the house in North Carolina where our daughter now lives. I actually hate it because of all the "fruit" that falls and has to be raked up. Stepping on one of those things is murder on your feet :*) I've been seeing all your lovely wreaths you've been pinning, and can't wait to see some of them adorning your doors.

Barbara said...

Very pretty, Denise.

Yael Ben-Ari said...

Now I know what to do with all the seed balls that fall off the city's sweet gum in front of my house. Nice idea. Just don't ever step on these things barefoot. My cats love to play with them.

Yael from Home Garden Diggers

Sarah said...

Denise you just have to do the P as a wreath to hang on your outside door! There must be a way to construct a frame out of foam.

Cathy said...

I have never heard of that type of tree. It sure does have interesting looking fruit or seeds or whatever they are. Leaf pounding????? What is that, and how does it relate to quilting? Inquiring minds want to know. LOL

Quilter Kathy said...

So FUN! Just love it when the item that you "need" just appears on your path!

Barbara F. said...

Denise, first I love your cute trailer. I want one some day, although I don't know if I can handle one with no strength in my hands. I had these itchy balls (as I named them) all over my yard in my old house. I must admit I hated them, as I used to trip on them all the time. But that wreath looks really pretty! I like the initials too. Have a good time tonight. xo

Melissa said...

Over 400 wreaths?! Wow! Does the., Lord talk to you while you are creating?

Lisa Leggett said...

Sweetgum-fruit, aye? I've always called these little buggers "ankle-breakers". I've twisted my ankle on these more times than I can count over the years. A wreath is a MUCH better place for them than under my feets. I've been seeing all your wreaths on Pinterest, I thought you were going on a wreath making binge! :) Hahaha...
Have a great weekend, D!
oxo,
L

Kate said...

Lots of fun ideas. Hope one of your pretty plans got to be a finished plan.

Lee said...

Until you showed that you found a tree, I was about ready to say I'd send you some the next time ours drops it's fruit. I've used some as decoration along with pine, fir, magnolia cones at Christmas - just thrown into a fabric lined basket. I like the wreath idea. We get 'mobbed' by goldfinch-type birds when the pods ripen and drop seed - love it, but I'm with everyone else - don't step on them barefoot!

Lee said...

Oh, and out here, we've always called them Liquid Amber trees - now I have to go look up and see if the names are interchangeable ;)

SweetPepperRose said...

Love this idea! What better to "get back" at those gum balls than to blast them with HOT GLUE onto a wreath form or letter! Nice job!
JoAnn

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Wow, what a great idea. I sure like the texsture on this!

Karin said...

I don't think I've ever seen a sweetgum tree! Those little berries will make the most amazing wreath! I love all that texture!