Tuesday, December 13, 2011

and now, the rest of the story . . .

You may or may not recognize this particular block:

Or it may seem strangely familiar and you can't figure out why. Let me help, it's the center block used in my blog header. It's a block I stitched in conjunction with a BOM one of our local quilt shops did in ... 2009 (I think). That particular project is one of my UFO's and so it will remain for a little longer, I'm pretty sure. Anyway.

Now, take a look below . . .

See the block down there on the bottom right? Look familiar? Lemme 'splain . . .

A couple of weeks ago I got an e-mail from Jill, whom I'd never 'met'. She proceeded to introduce herself and shared that she read my blog from time to time, but that the center block in my blog header had caught her attention and she was inspired to create one similar to it and to enter it into a contest her guild (the Iowa Quilter's Guild) was sponsoring for the barn block on the guild's logo. In her words:
I enjoy viewing your blog and was struck by the pinwheel quilt block shown in the middle of your blog heading. I thought I could make that, so I fiddled with the measurements and was able to put together the block. I said now that looks good. Next thought was that this block might be a good one to enter in the Iowa Quilter's Guild contest. The winning block would be shown on the front of a red barn which is the Iowa Quilter's Guild logo. Their logo is used on their newsletter heading, notecards, banner, etc.
So she whipped up her version ... even using very similarly colored fabrics as mine ... and submitted the block to her guild. She told me she was so excited when her block was chosen to be the barn block; she never wins anything, she said. (She picked the right person's block, didn't she?!? LOL!!) But she was also a little concerned because she didn't want to infringe on copyrights and she also wanted to know what the block's name was.

I immediately emailed Jill back and assured her that I had not created the block (heaven's no), and where I'd come up with it and best I could figure, what its name was (it's a variation on the Louisiana Pinwheel).

So, there you have it. A block in my blog's header, stitched up by little ol' me, inspired the block now used in the Iowa Quilter's Guild barn logo. That's good for a smile, right?

And now you know the rest of the story!

:)

9 left a comment . . .:

Diane said...

that is a very cool story.

Momof3girls said...

Girl, you are too funny! Did you realize that you have a variation of the Louisiana pinwheel on your blog and you're an Alabama fan. LOL!!! Are you predicting the winner of the BCS game???? LOL!!! Geaux Tigers!

That is great about the block being chosen. You are so blessed!

Sarah said...

I keep saying you're one of the luckiest people I know!! Congrats!

Pat said...

What a fun story!!!

Mary said...

Nice story! Thanks for sharing! I miss Paul Harvey saying,
'and now you know the rest of the story...'

Linda in Calif. said...

Wow! That's really cool.

C. Joy said...

I've got to get busy. Love the blocks and the story.

Jean said...

Love it... I hear it was warm for y'all today. Did you at least get to get out and enjoy it for a bit?

Mary said...

It is so neat how the on-line quilting community is connected in ways we least expect. It's a beautiful block and I am so happy that you have yet another new quilting friend.