Saturday, December 31, 2011

auld lang syne . . .

I completely cannot believe that today is the last day of 2011. Not that I mind ... I'm rather ready to be done with this year and start 2012, new and fresh, with its new promises, new goals, new experiences. :)

To that end, I've been thinking about my goals for the coming year. I always hesitate to make resolutions. I like goals instead. Why? Look at the definitions . . .
resolution: 1. A firm decision to do or not to do something.

goal: 2. The end toward which the effort is directed.
With the first, one wrong move and your so-called 'firm' decision is gone completely awry. But with the second, there's leeway. There's opportunity for gain and the ability to correct a misstep. The first is so harsh and unforgiving, while the second applauds my efforts toward the end, not just the achievement. Yep, I'm a goals girl all the way.

One of my goals is to become more organized. In all aspects of my life . . . family, ministry, quilting . . . I function so much better when order is prevalent. One of my Christmas gifts is going to be a big boost to this goal. A new, incredible 2012 Planner!

Isn't it pretty?! And it's personalized!! My Jocey got it for me for Christmas. It's from erin condren and I just love it! Joc had gotten herself one earlier in the year and fell in love with it so much that she got one for me and one for Kim, too.

It's set up very nicely with plenty of pages for notes and lists and whatnot. At the beginning of each month, there's a spot for monthly goals and to do's (which fits perfectly into my idea of setting goals for the year).

There's also a month-at-a-glance page at the beginning of each month. I really like this for birthdays and anniversaries ... dates I need to be prepared for (with cards or a gift), not just reminded of.


And then each week is spread over two pages, giving lots of room for appointments, daily notations, etc. And, each week has its own spot for weekly goals and to do's. I swear this book was created just for me!

At the back of the planner is the requisite 'important numbers' list (which I do fill out because --*gasp*--what would I do if I didn't have my phone with me, or worse yet, lost all the numbers in my phone?!?!? (Just a side note here . . . in the spot for the Babysitter's number, I wrote in, "I am the babysitter!")

There's also pages of stickers for marking special days. There are pre-printed stickers for birthdays, doctor appointments, parties, games, hair appointments, etc., and lots of blank, create-your-own stickers. Fun stuff.

There's also a folder page, to tuck in important documents or receipts, as well as a zipper pocket.

And Joc got me some really cute return address labels that match, too! (That's what is in the big pink envelope.) I think this planner will be an important tool to helping me stay organized and on track. But, like any other tool, it's only useful if it's used, right? :)

That's a pretty nice goal for now. I want to think about where I want to be at the end of 2012 and make some more goals. I'll share them as I make them. :)

Todd and I went gallivanting about town yesterday. We both needed some cards, and we needed to exchange a gift (for a smaller size -- yay!), and we had Princess Buttercup (my pretty yellow PT Cruiser) washed, and we had a nice lunch out together, and we needed a new skillet. Badly. So we headed over to Bed, Bath & Beyond and picked up this beautiful thing . . .

It's 12" wide and 5 quarts deep. If you'll look closely, you'll see that it doesn't even fit all the way on the stove, with another pot back there! For it's maiden cook, I made homemade spaghetti sauce in it last night. Yum. And to go with the spaghetti, fast and easy garlic bread knots.


Tonight we're headed to Lighthouse Baptist Church to enjoy fellowship with some dear friends. Todd works tomorrow, so we won't stay until midnight -- just long enough to visit and wish folks a happy new year. We'll probably ring the new year in, in our dreams . . . which is fine with me!

Happy New Year; here's to 2012!

:)

9 left a comment . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

That is a super planner/organizer! Happy and Adventurous New Year

Editfolt said...

This is a great notebook. good food!
Happy New Year!

Hungary:
Boldog Új Évet Kívánok!
B:U:É:K:

Edit

Editfolt said...

sorry: Hungarian

Pat said...

Great planner book! Happy 2012 to you and your loved ones, Denise!

Barbara F. said...

Happy New Year, Denise! Good luck with your organization, I am sure you will succeed. Looking forward to many visits in the coming year. xo

Michelle said...

I think I need a planner of my own!

Kate said...

Good luck with your 2012 goals.

Have a wonderful New Year!

StitchinByTheLake said...

What an awesome organizer....it looks like it's got everything but the kitchen sink! And what a great gift. Maybe if I had one too I'd be better organized - but I just know I'd forget to write in it. :( blessings, marlene

Katherines Corner said...

Wonderful planner! Hugs and happy new year wishes!