Thursday, December 08, 2011

this shoe was made for walking . . .

Let the walking games begin! Yesterday I finally donned my little cast shoe (isn't it pretty? NOT!), which means I can start taking baby steps. Yay!! It's slow going and I'm not supposed to put more than 25% of my weight on it. That's a good thing, because I'm afraid to put more than that on it anyway. I have a bizarre fear that the screws the doc put in during the surgery, will be forced out the bottom of my foot if I put too much weight on it. LOL!
I know that's silly, but that's irrational fear for you. Too much weight (I've played around a little with it) and it starts to get uncomfortable, so I'll stick to walking on it with my crutches or walker. I can say, without a doubt or any hesitation, that going up the stairs is *SO* much easier, now that my right foot can bear a little weight! My left knee is nearly singing with relief. LOL!

I also thought I'd share a piece of my morning . . . I pulled out my Noritake Christmas tree mug. This morning it's filled (or rather, was filled) with coffee and my favorite peppermint mocha coffee mate. A couple of years ago I gave each of my sisters one of these mugs, so that as we sipped our coffee, tea and/or hot chocolate during the month of Christmas, we'd think of one another and perhaps relive fond memories of Christmases past.
This morning it seemed appropriate to stir my coffee with this darling, darling little spoon. It was a gift from one of my sisters -- and actually, it was one of a set of three. All three had something different in the spoon. One says, "hi tea" and one says, "<3" but the one I used this morning says . . .
Good morning, sister!!! :) Isn't that fun? And perfect with my sister mug!!

Today is my day to:

Yay! I probably won't work on anything Christmas, but maybe I'll get some more work finished on My Orange Crush. Or who knows . . . perhaps I'll get in there, inspiration will strike, and I'll work on something completely [new and] different! Have you heard about Cat Patches' Occupy Your Sewing Room? If not, click on the pic above to check it

One never knows. Mwaaaahahahaa!!!

:)

12 left a comment . . .:

Love Bears All Things said...

Good morning, I was wondering, yesterday, how your foot was doing...just take it easy...I love the thought of the mugs and spoons. My older sister gave me an ornament a few years ago, a ball that has been painted and says 'sister' in a heart...I love hanging it on the tree and I can see it from where I'm sitting.
Enjoy your day in the studio.
Mama Bear

Deanna said...

Oh, I so want an "occupy" day. Maybe next week. But, in the meantime, never apologise for "irrational" fears. Fear is all about feelings, and if that is how you really feel, it is real. But, with time, patience and faith (in God, doctors and yourself), it will get better. Baby steps both physically and mentally. Be nice to yourself, and QUILT ON!

C. Joy said...

I've never seen spoons like that (I don't get out much) they are great. I'm recovering from a late night quilting. Now I'm going to read about occupying my quilt room - hope I didn't miss anything - I was quilting on the dining room table. Remember not to overdo now that you can get around, you are healing, it will take longer than you think it should (it's always that way for everyone), but take care of yourself and you will get better.

Mary said...

Cute Boot! Take it easy. I hope to see something fun come out of your Occupation of your sewing room...a lot of quilters are doing that.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

GO slow! Yes, you will know when you have hit the limit on that foot - love the little toe 'footie'. Luck with your 'occupy' endevours.

Barbara F. said...

You're such a sweetie, Denise! I love the cup and the spoon. Do you think I might be able to find one?

I would be worried too about putting pressure. My mind would be telling me the same thing. xo

Winona said...

Hello Denise. I am certainly glad that your foot is improving. You'll be out out of that big shoe in no time. Just don't overdo it. (grin)

Editfolt said...

I do not understand everything but I really like the spoon and mug. Good plaster as well. There is a Hungarian proverb:
Slowly walk, get on! :)

Barb said...

Well...maybe in time you will trust yourself to put more pressure on it.

Love the spoon...

Lee said...

Wow, great progress news on your foot. I remember my boot after surgery...reminded me of a ski boot and I was glad I didn't have to wear too long nor all day. I imagine you'll be 'dancing for joy' when you can finally get the cast off and are able to put even more weight on it.
What a sweet thing with your sisters with the cup, and your spoon!

Quilt Hollow said...

I say we dress that lovely shoe up! What about some brightly colored ribbon and lace in holiday colors to go with that gorgeous cast! LOL Okay now...I'm counting on you to pretty that baby up!

Sarah said...

Since I'm just catching up on your blog, I'm hoping it's getting a little easier to put weight on the booted foot.