Wednesday, December 28, 2011

traveling treats . . .

Yesterday Todd and I had lots of errands to run, among which was drop off cookie plates to our neighbors. We'd planned to do that on Christmas Eve, on our way to Joc's house, but the day got away from us and there just wasn't time. So yesterday we went a calling!

This year I tried some new treats in addition to some old favorites. I always include Apricot Shortbread Thumbprints, because those are a family favorite. I also do sugar cookies, chocolate chips, and candy cane cookies as stock favorites. This year I did no-bake cookies (because they're easy and so good) and I added the ginger oatmeal cookies I first made HERE. Yes, I thought they were that good! And I tried a new recipe ... one for Praline Graham Crackers ... which was SO good (and so stinking easy) I know I'll make it again! I try to put a nice variety of shapes, textures, tastes and colors on the plates. One went with us to our family Christmas Eve party and one went with Todd to the fire station when he went in on Monday (that's a long standing tradition). I do love the holiday baking!

I tried another new recipe this holiday season -- appropriately enough named Firehouse Crackers. Todd and I had never had them until the open house event at the MBA. Todd fell in love with them. He likes saltines anyways, and these were nice and SPICY! I got the recipe and made them to go with a cheese ball (another new and great recipe I found) for our family party. He took the leftovers in with him on Monday and brought home none. These will go into the recipe book for future (and frequent) use!

Yesterday was dreary and grey (a right smart day to use my happy light) and we didn't see the sun all day long ... until it set.

If you look closely you'll see a bright red speck center photo, just beneath the tree tops. Finally the sun made its appearance. I barely managed to capture a shot of it before it disappeared completely. It was a big glowing ball and Todd and I sat watching it, entranced, before I thought to grab my camera.

Today is filled with ministry work and putting some normalcy back into place!

:)

9 left a comment . . .:

Sarah said...

Normalcy is overrated!!
Sounds like a yummy selection of goodies this year. I guess I never posted on my cookie day but we made candy lassies, sugar rollout cookies, rum balls, ginger oatmeal ("your" recipe), cheerio bars, pineapple cookies and another one I can't remember. I won't even list all the chocolates we made for candy day at my SIL's. Can we say that I need a few extra Zumba workouts??!!

Lee said...

You are remarkable! And the goodies are wrapped so prettily too! I did NO baking other than the rib roast for Christmas dinner & the baked potatoes, lol. Maybe I'll do some this week. I just know I'll likely be the one who can't resist eating all the goodies! Blessings.

Editfolt said...

These packages are very good looking. Are in the cookie is very tasty.

Jean said...

normalcy.... Hahahahahahaha!

Oooh, I wish I were one of your neighbors! Then I'd get a cookie plate, too!

Mama Spark said...

Wow lucky neighbors!! Wish I lived next door!!

Pat said...

Your cookie plates sound wonderful! I'm not a good baker. :(

Paula said...

I am so jealous of your cookies. Since I have had this "malady" I did not get one cookie baked this year. But, I am on the mend..finally! Hoping to get a few baked before we leave to head south. We are not going to AZ. this year. Just to MS..
I make a spicy cracker that we call Texas Hot Crackers. I wonder...is it the same as your's.
Hugs

Denise said...

So sweet of you to bake for neighbors.I don't bake anymore,stopped after my daughters grew up.I love baked goods-a down fall of mine.Thank you for your good wishes.I sure wouldn't even think about this if I did't get full coverage.For me it's cheaper than W.W. or any other program.God bless your New Year.

Antiques And Teacups said...

Thanks for visitng and following. So nice to meet you...I am your newest follower as well! Your treats look lovely! Don't you love it when you find a new recipe that's a keeper!
Ruth