Friday, December 09, 2011

a totally different day . . .

In that I purposed to fill it one way and actually filled it quite differently.

I had planned for yesterday to be my Occupy Your Sewing Room day, but it ended up being more like an "occupy your kitchen" kind of day. *shrug*

It started on Wednesday, when Todd and I went grocery shopping. I really like ginger snaps, but they didn't have the sugar free kind, so I didn't get any. But I thought about them. A lot. They had the regular kind, but if I'm going to eat something with sugar in it, then it might as well be something *I've* made, right? Anyway, Thursday morning, I've still got a ... taste ... for ginger cookies of some kind. So I turned to google.

Trusty google. I actually ran a search on ginger oatmeal cookies, because the combination just sounded good and I knew I had oatmeal in my pantry. The search netted a couple of interesting prospects, but one in particular caught my eye, from the Cooks Illustrated website. Where it was from was enough to sell me on the cookie. I love, love that magazine. I used to have all the issues and even their annual collections, but that was one that didn't make the RV cut. I was really tickled to find them online! A quick look at the recipe assured me that I had all the ingredients (with a minor sub for sugar plus molasses for the brown sugar it called for), and I cut it in half, because it was better than way. To me, the ultimate test is the raw cookie dough test. If the cookie dough is good, then the cookie is going to be good. The cookie dough for this was GOOD! I thought about just wrapping it up and eating it be the spoonful from the fridge. But I didn't -- I portioned it out, put it in the oven and let it bake. The result? See for yourself . . .

They were soft and chewy on the inside, with just enough 'crispiness' around the edges. The oatmeal did its job of added substance and texture and nutty flavor. The lovely, warm ginger flavor made my mouth smile!

Oh yeah -- they were good still warm, too. :)

After that, since the oven was already heated up, I went ahead and put in a chicken for tonight's chicken & dumplings. I like to cook a whole chicken, pick it, and then cook down the remainders for my broth. Once that was done I put in some venison cutlets to cook and then made hash for this morning's breakfast (which was really good, by the way). Then finally, just in time for Jocelyn's afternoon visit, I made up a saucepan of cocoa.

And so we had cocoa and ginger oatmeal cookies for a lovely afternoon snack on a chilly day. Just perfect!


Isn't she beautiful? I swear she gets more beautiful each time I see her. We are getting so, so close!! Early tomorrow evening is our small "Celebrate Ellie" get together at the Melting Pot. I'd order some special little things for Ellie -- I can't wait to share them with Jocey! And then afterwards, Kim, Joc and I head to see The Nutcracker! A girl's night out -- so fun! I'll be sure to share.

Speaking of sharing, in the event that anyone's interested, I thought I'd share my version of that yummy cookie!

Ginger Oatmeal Cookies

based on recipe from Cooks Illustrated - Published January 1, 1997.

Makes about 28 cookies

Ingredients
  • 1 stick unsalted butter (1/4 pound), softened but still firm
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon molasses
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats

Instructions

1. Adjust oven racks to low and middle positions; heat oven to 350 degrees. In bowl of electric mixer or by hand, beat butter until creamy. Add sugar and molasses; beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg.

2. Mix flour, salt, baking powder, ground ginger, and nutmeg together, then stir them into butter-sugar mixture with wooden spoon or large rubber spatula. Stir in oats.

3. Form dough into twenty-four to twenty-eight 1-inch balls, placing each dough round onto one of two parchment paper–covered, large cookie sheets. Bake until cookie edges turn golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. (Halfway during baking, turn cookie sheets from front to back and also switch them from top to bottom. [editor's note: I didn't do this.]) Slide cookies on parchment onto cooling rack. Let cool at least 30 minutes before serving. [editor's note: good luck on that!]

If you prefer a less sweet cookie, you can reduce the white sugar by one-quarter cup, but you will lose some crispness. Do not overbake these cookies. The edges should be brown but the rest of the cookie should still be very light in color. Parchment makes for easy cookie removal and cleanup, but it’s not a necessity. If you don’t use parchment, let the cookies cool directly on the baking sheet for two minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.

Happy Friday -- enjoy!!

:)

7 left a comment . . .:

Sarah said...

I added these to tomorrow's cookie day menu!! I also plan to make candy lassies, rum balls, pineapple cookies, banana bread and maybe cheerio bars and chocolate covered nuts, if I haven't crashed yet :)

Pat said...

They do look yummy! Enjoy your girls' night out tomorrow!

Linda in Calif. said...

They look very good. I better make a grocery list and get busy baking! Oh and she is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Love Bears All Things said...

Like me......this morning, I was all set to make some Pumpkin Bread..I've been saying that since before Thanksgiving....then I thought I'd finish up some sewing so I could clean up the studio/dining room.....well I was going to put the sewing machine in the carry case which is in the coat closet, saw the flags and thought I needed to change out my football team flag for my Christmas one so one thing led to another and we ended up putting our outside decorations up and I never got back to the sewing room or kitchen....Oh well, it'll still be there tomorrow.
Mama Bear

Lee said...

yum, makes my mouth water! When my daughter was little and with me during Christmas, our tradition was to make gingerbread men. And gingerbread with whipped cream is oh-so-yummy and wow, now a recipe for ginger oatmeal cookies. ummuummummm. Have a great time out tomorrow. :)

Editfolt said...

This cake looks great! Sure it's very delicious! I do not know what it is molasses, and rolled Oats. :)
I bake gingerbread in a few days. I'll show you!

Mary said...

Hope you enjoyed the Nutcracker, I get to go see it tomorrow, My SIL and Grand-daughter are in it again this year. I'm the only one who likes ginger snaps and I have a ginger cream cookie recipe that I like to make. The brown sugar and molasses help to make them chewy.