Tuesday, December 20, 2011

ufo's 2012 . . .

 Okay, I am the first to admit that I am *terrible* about starting a project and then ... well ... leaving it high and dry. I don't know why. I get distracted, I get bored, perhaps I find something better to play with? Who knows. What I *do* know is that I have a pile of perfectly great quilting projects, in various stages of completion, that I truly need to work on. So here's the deal. I went through and picked seven.  One of which includes some really tough piecing, and so I've split it into several. Like ... five ... LOL! Because I want to be reasonable and I want my goals to be attainable. So only seven - in various stages of completion. And my goal for 2012 is to definitely complete these UFO projects.

#1  This first will probably should be my first to finish. Don't laugh ... it's Joc's wedding (2009) quilt. The one with all her guest signatures on it. Yes. I will take it on retreat with me in February.
The last time I worked on this was the last time I went on retreat. February, 2010. YIKES! The blocks for the top need to be sewn together and then it needs to be sandwiched and quilted.

#2  Next is a hexi quilt-a-long project I started last year with Jaybird Quilts.
This is going to my niece for her 13th birthday (which is in March, but she probably won't get it until June). I just need to sew the blocks together, sandwich and quilt it. Do you see a theme?

#3, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10 I love these blocks! This was a feathered star BOM from 2008.
The inner blocks are all finished, I just need to work the big feathered star for five more. This one is the one I've spread over several (aka six) months.  Five months for piecing and one month to put it together.  Because I know this feathered piecing will take me all year! And it's the one quilt, because of how intricate the piecing is for these stars, that I'd give myself a pat on the back just for getting it pieced. :)

#4  These are my Overall Sawyer redwork blocks. I've got the coordinating fabrics to make the nine patch blocks that go with them.
This will probably be a project for later in the year. I'm in no hurry -- I'd just like to have my first redwork quilt finished!

#5 I really, really need to finish this gem. It's the oldest UFO I have, from a 2007 BOM. Seeing as how I just started quilting in 2006 (and I started *and* finished 2 quilts in 2006), I guess they couldn't get any older, huh?
This piece was a quilt-as-you-go project. All the blocks are done and quilted, including the center applique block. The only thing in the above picture that *isn't* actual fabric that I worked on is the red that the pineapple center is sitting in. That's the part I need to do. Once that's done (and I'm afraid of it, that's why it's still unfinished), all that's left is to hand sew the rows together--the machine stitching part is done--and bind it. And this will be such a fun piece to have finished! Up until I started My Orange Crush (which I don't yet consider a UFO, but which I do want to finish in the coming year), it was my favorite quilt.

#11  My Orange Crush quilt.  It's only a UFO because it was last year's BOM.  But I've never really *stopped* working on it.  Just saying.
#12  I've got a little table topper that I cut out when I made one similar for my mom a couple of years ago.  I'd like to get it put together and get it out of my stash box.  All the applique leaf pieces are cut and ready.  And it's cute... here's a look at the one I already finished:
In addition to those quilts, there's a tee shirt quilt for another niece who is graduating (see also NewFO's 2012), a baby quilt for Ellie, my Civil War swap blocks quilt, another Leaves & Acorns topper (since I gave mine away to be raffled), the Christmas stitcheries quilt, and another BOM from 2008 that probably needs to be finished. Wow -- if I really did all this, I wouldn't have a UFO older than three years! That's pretty exciting stuff! (It's also a really big IF.)

So there ya' have it. My project list for 2012. Not too lofty...but it will definitely give me a sense of accomplishment if I get them all finished!! And I'm linking up over at Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times; head over and check it out.

And speaking of checking it out, don't forget to check out my guest post and Holly Jolly Topper tutorial at Sew We Quilt tomorrow!!!

:)

16 left a comment . . .:

Alycia said...

Nice list. The wedding quilt should now be called an anniversary quilt, takes the pressure off LOL

Momof3girls said...

You're doing much better than me. I started a Grandmother's Flower Garden over 5 years ago, it could be getting closer to 10 now. The quilt is supposed to be king size, but it's way bigger than that. There are probably about 90 flowers on this quilt. All I have to do is finish quilting each little hexagon in each flower and then bind it, but it is a lot of work and with my business, I don't have much time anymore. I hope that I will be able to work on it some next week. I do plan to take a little time off from my business. Since it's taken me so long to make this quilt, I'm not sure if I want it on a bed. I certainly don't want anything getting on it. I've worked too hard to let it get messed up. LOL! I may hang it on a wall, but it's got to be a huge wall.
Blessings!

Deanna said...

It is time for me to make such a list, too. Yours looks very do-able (and full of nice projects worth finishing).

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Lovely pieces to encourage finishing. Very easy and comfortable list.

Pat said...

Don't feel bad...I have a UFO list that is MUCH longer than yours....so long that I can't even bear to try to narrow it down. I am thinking I should really go through the half-finished projects and see if I even WANT some of them any longer. (Then I would try to give them away at a quilt guild meeting sometime.) People will love your tutorial. I made one from start to finish today!!! (I'll send you another picture soon.)

Mego said...

Oh THANK YOU! I am a 'block maker'...I see something SO GREAT, assemble the fabric (of course, running to the LQS or online to get the PERFECT thing!), make all the blocks and then...it sits. This will inspire me...I HOPE!

Jocelyn said...

Yay yay yay!!! I'm so excited to see this! Can't wait to get my hands on my wedding quilt-- it's even prettier than I remembered! Hooray! :D

Dawnmarie said...

I think it's great that you're keeping your list manageable. Good luck getting it all done!

Jean said...

I've got TONS of UFOs leftover from classes I took. I like that hexie quilt A LOT! If the 13 year old doesn't want it, I know someone else who'd take it. LOL!

Linda in Calif. said...

Nice list - and very doable. I'm like you I didn't list 12 UFOs, I just didn't want the pressure. Good luck with your list. I'll be cheering you on!

Kirsten- The Foreign Domestic said...

Can't wait to see all of your projects next year :)!

Quilter Kathy said...

A great list! Totally doable! Love the redwork blocks!

Katie said...

So many pretty projects, but that feathered star is really striking. WHEN you finish, you will definitely deserve a pat on the back for that. As for starting and not finishing...ooohh, something shiny...

Sarah said...

D - you have a great variety to keep you busy next year! I think my fav are your feathered stars.

Cathy said...

You can do it, I know you can. I love the Sawyer redwork blocks, and so will he. And the wedding quilt, I like Alycia's idea of calling it an anniversary quilt.

AnnieO said...

That is a nice variety of projects to work on through the year, Denise! I didn't know you only started quilting in 2006, you've done marvelously. Good luck on making significant progress in finishes...I will be right there with you! Can't wait to see what number Judy draws first...