Saturday, November 12, 2011

ginger and cocoa . . .

Yesterday was a wonderful, family-filled day. Unfortunately Todd had to head in on shift, but James called mid-morning and asked if I'd like some company. He, Kim and Sawyer headed over just before lunchtime. Joc was headed my way too, and she willingly stopped and got some pizza for us for lunch. We had a great afternoon joking and reminiscing and playing with Sawyer. All too soon it was Sawyer's nap time and he and his mommy and daddy headed out the door. So that left Joc and I for a girly afternoon. What to do, what to do . . .

I'd seen a recipe on one of my new favorite blogs, Munchkin Munchies, for Chocolate-Ginger Fall Cookies. I love gingersnap cookies and gracious but I do love chocolate, and the thought of combining these two flavors intrigued me more than a little. So we got busy making some cookies! The recipe is relatively simple and straightforward. We'd planned on rolling them out and cutting them with my acorn and football shaped cookie cutters (I can't find my leaf cutters!), but after an hour of chilling the dough was still a little too soft to roll out, so Joc encouraged me to find a way to make do. I offered to make the as drop cookies and she agreed. So I did, pressing them flat with a fork, and lightly dusted them with sanding sugar.

They were really quite delicious, warm out of the oven.

In fact, they made a wonderful little snack to nibble on with afternoon tea.

Especially on a brisk and chilly November afternoon -- ginger is so warming.

And these were a lovely blend of cocoa and ginger, with cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg, sweetened with brown sugar and molasses. The edges were crispy and nice, but the center was soft and chewy - the perfect cookie!

The perfect cookie indeed. But don't take *my* word on it. The recipe can be found HERE. Try it for yourself!

Happy weekend!

:)

10 left a comment . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Not a baker, so sent the recipe to my SIL who loves recipes. Love your little mug rug hiding under your delightful tea.

Jean said...

Today was an earl grey kind of day. I need to get me a fancy teacup... I just use my "good morning" mug. It's my tea-only mug...

Barbara F. said...

Hi Denise, I saw these cookies on Pinterest and I knew I wanted to make these for the holidays! I love your tea cup and the little quilted coaster. xo

Lee Young said...

Sounds like a good, joy-filled day :) Those cookies look delightful too, glad you mentioned they were soft & chewy in the center as I'm not a crispy chewy fan. I think I'll go find the recipe.

Michelle said...

Those do look yummy!

Lemon Lane Cottage said...

I am new to your blog but knew i would love it with a title like Count it all joy. I have just started memorizing the first chapter of joy so of course, I was drawn to your blog. These cookies look delish and am following you now. Patty

Lemon Lane Cottage said...

the first chapter of James... :)

Mary said...

I am the only one who would eat them at my house. They sound yummy to me.
Company that brings lunch, that is nice too!

Pat said...

They do sound very yummy! I'm glad you had such a fun day, too.

Sarah said...

You're such an enabler to a chocaholic who also loves gingersnaps :) Guess what's now on my to bake list?! And I have ootstraop molasses and dark chocolate powder. Yummy!