Friday, November 18, 2011

more turkey talk and a little zen . . .

Do you see this . . . ?

It's boring, isn't it? Especially after my pretty red cast that I had last time, with the Alabama "A" on it. This is just ... dull. A pretty color, but dull nonetheless.

So I had an idea. It involved turkeys. It would have involved pumpkins, but we're so close to Thanksgiving, I figured I should stick to turkeys. So I pulled out my fabrics, some fusible webbing, my (new!!!) iron and some felt and here's what I came up with . . .

Kinda cute, right?!

A little tacky glue and voila!! No more boring cast for me!

I also bought a pineapple yesterday, for my darling little turkey head.

Isn't this just AWESOME?!!?

Mr. Turkey Head agrees ... a pineapple is so much better than borrowing Mr. Cardinal's body!

Mr. Cardinal agrees too.

So a turkey day and a zentangle evening! Here's a little look into our introduction to zentangle at last night's guild meeting. This is the little kit that was handed out to us:

The 8.5X11 sheet of paper had examples of different modes of zentangle. Pretty cool. Plus a micron fine point pen, a soft charcoal pencil, four drawing tiles, and a tortillon (which is the long, skinny white thing that looks sort of like a homemade cigarette). Oh, and that piece of paper that had all the different zentangle doodles on it? Cut it out and fold it on the lines and it made an icosahedron, which looks like this:


Here's a closeup of the tortillon. It's a smudger. Seriously.

No really, it smudges. You'll see.

Our first step was to put a dot in each of the four corners and then connect them with a line. This was our 'border'.

Then she had us draw a big loop. There was no right or wrong way, though she did give us guidelines. Once we'd drawn that, we set down our pencils and picked up the pen.

This design was called 'pepper'.

Then she had us do this little criss-crossing opposing lines thing.

Next we did a 'mooka' design (the one that looks like hearts, sort of) and then 'printemps' which was a bunch of closed spirals.

After that we took our tortillon and smudged the lines. See how it gave it dimension? It's pretty cool.

This is Jocelyn's . . .

Hers looked GREAT! She was a natural, that's for sure. I was so glad that not only she picked me up and brought me, but that she stayed and enjoyed herself! We were sitting at a table with a pretty rowdy group of older quilters. At one point we were laughing so hard (and loud) that people were looking at us!! Joc leaned over to me and said, "Quilters have big personalities, don't they?!" LOL!

So the two of us followed the same directions, but look how different they turned out!

So here's our two and two from the ladies sitting opposite us . . .

Isn't that wild?!? We really did have a blast!! The card on the top right belongs to my dear friend Jane, of Grandmama's Stories. She joined Joc and I (and the Stitcher's Group) for dinner last night and then joined the guild, too! I am so excited to have a quilty *and* bloggy friend in the guild with me! And I was so blessed to have my beautiful girl with me too (especially since I wouldn't have been there if she hadn't come and gotten me)!

And . . . that's zentangling! I've got a couple more blank tiles I'm going to play with. The 'mooka' was pretty cool -- it was a lot like stippling -- as is the 'amaze' and the 'echoism'. I can see where quilters could tie zentangling into the quilting and even into an embroidery methodology. It was fascinating *and* fun!!

So that's that . . . and this is Friday -- have a GREAT one!!

:)

15 left a comment . . .:

Editfolt said...

It looks good on your feet glued to the turkey. :)
This drawing is really like. While I do not understand the point. Google translator does not understand what he was saying to me. : (
But I like these drawings. What are these?

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Yes, you need happy feet! Clever idea. Your pinapple turkey is fabulous - what a great centerpiece. Zentangle is a repeat of the 70's - I forget what they called it then.

Paula said...

Love the turkey idea! You just amaze me with your creativity.
Zentangling looks like fun but I don't understand what you do with it. Is it something you might color in and frame? Can you use it as a needlepoint or embroidery?
Hugs

Barbara F. said...

That centerpiece is awesome!!!! I love it. And your cast, you really know how to jazz it up. Happy turkey day preparing, Denise! xo

Momof3girls said...

Your turkey centerpiece is beautiful. Great idea for the cast. I would have never of thought to do something like that. Blessings!

Michelle said...

You have been BUSY! I can't decide if I like the cast turkey or the pineapple turkey cutter -- and I LOVE your orange crush blocks!

Lee said...

Love your creativity to spruce up your cast, and the turkey head, well, he does look a whole lot better with his pineapple body and all the other autumny 'dressing' ;)

The zentangle stuff reminds of my doodle/artwork back when I was in high school in the late '60s, and though you said you could see how it could see it in quilting/embroidery, to me it seems a bit detailed, but then, I even think some stippling gets to be 'too much'. I can see it more with embroidery though. Have a great Friday evening.

Alycia said...

What a difference in your drawings - that is really cool!! Can you imagine that on the backgrounds of quilts... I love it!

Zlaty said...

Hi Denise! I got your email - comment! Thanks for thinking of me! I am doing good, just too busy to post on my blog.
I hope your leg heals faster! I am so happy for the baby girl! I have been checking your blog, from time to time, but didn't leave a comment. I wish you a very happy Thanksgiving with your family!
Hugs,
Zlaty

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

If you have to wear a cast, it might as well be festive! Thanks so much for your congratulations! I appreciate all the bloggy love!...hugs...Debbie

Kirsten- The Foreign Domestic said...

Turkeys everywhere! hahah. I love it!

Love Bears All Things said...

Its always good to learn new things and to have fun doing it....
Mama Bear

Connie said...

Your little turkey on your cast is so cute and I've never seen a pineapple turkey! Your zentangle work is beautiful and I enjoyed your mini tutorial! I have always wanted to try it.

Dan InAtlantaArea said...

I love James 1:2-4 and I love your turkey head for the pineapple!
I would love to give my wife and family a centerpiece and a laugh this Thanksgiving. Any chance you sell these? I'd love to buy one in time for Thanksgiving if you have one like in the picture. Please let me know at your earliest convenience.
Blessings,DanInAtlantaArea@gmail.com

Dan InAtlantaArea said...

Let me know what you would charge for the turkey head and all postage and packaging.
As we say in our family - Gobble till you wobble :)