Monday, November 14, 2011

by design . . .

Well my proverbial design wall hasn't changed all that much from last week. The blocks from the Orange Crush quilt are still waiting for me to set them and the two blocks I'd prepped for stitching for the Christmas stitch-a-long haven't been finished either. I'm nearly finished with the one of the two, though . . .

I'm loving this white on red -- it's so pretty!

I *did* finish my Christmas Star table topper last week and for that I'm profoundly glad! I also went through my Christmas stash and pulled out the fabrics I'm going to use to make my Holly Jolly topper (the one I designed in EQ -- shown HERE). I think this is a nice combination:

The green tonal will be the big leaves, the red tonal will be the berries, and the holly print will be the smaller leaves. The small red, green and white print will be the back. I'll use a dark green thread for the quilting on the leaves (which will provide my leaves with their veins). I need to get started on this project soon! Want to see more design walls? Check out Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times and see what else is going on in the bloggy/quilty world!

Yesterday was a bit of a bust. I woke up with a headache, but thought I could push through it. I went ahead and got ready for church and everything. In fact, we were halfway there when I started to feel nauseous. We were practically in the parking lot before I realized my headache was worse and my stomach was rolling and going into church services might not be the best option. So we turned around and headed back home. Luckily I had some alcohol swabs in my purse so I sniffed at them (a trick the discharge nurse told me when I was headed home after my foot surgery) to keep the nausea at bay until I could get home and get a phenergan and take something for my head. Came home, took some pills, and slept for four hours. Then I felt better -- delicate, but better. Phew!

Joc is headed over in a bit and we're going to make turkey heads today. Whoohoo! It's easier to show than to explain -- hopefully we'll be successful and I'll have pics tomorrow.

It's Monday! Mondays make me smile -- a whole new week -- a blank slate, if you will -- in which to get things right!

:)

20 left a comment . . .:

Momof3girls said...

I like starting a new week too. I'm excited about all the items that I need to get finished this week. Lots of orders to fill. Have a great day!

Vivian said...

I like the block you designed in EQ. It will make a great quilt. Love the fabrics. And, I'm all about decorating for the holidays. lol

Jean said...

I'm sorry you had a pooty headed day. I've considered EQ, but just never embraced it.

Turkey heads? This I gotta see. Hope you're back to your own self.

Krista said...

I love those Christmas fabrics you've picked. They will make a beautiful topper! And the red and white is very cute.

Hope your head is feeling better today.

Vicki said...

Lovely stitching, we had a head cold thing going around here and the dizziness was the worst part. Hope you are feeling better!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a difference with the white work - looks like another whole new pattern. Turkey heads - you have me intriqued.

Connie said...

Your stitchery looks beautiful and I can't wait to see what the "turkey heads" are! Hope you are feeling better.

Quilter Kathy said...

I really like your white on red stitchery...so festive for Christmas!

Gari said...

I love your Holly Jolly block, good work. And it will be even better when done in fabric, I know.

Pattilou said...

I like your white on red too. Nice!

Barb said...

Love your stitching.

You have just won my beam N read....can I have your address?

Mary said...

I am so glad you are feeling better. Thanks for the tip about sniffing alcohol to combat nausea. I hope you have a great week!

Kathie said...

I also love the white thread on the red, very different.

Judy D in WA said...

LOVE the white on red! Your Holly Jolly is going to be great. Love that design.
Hope you are feeling better!

Rachel's Quilts said...

Love the fabrics you picked for your Holly Jolly topper. And the white stitching on red looks really good.

Sarah said...

So sorry to hear about the headache - after a 4 hour nap I would say that your body was telling you it's time for a rest! The whitework looks great - can't wait to see the finished project!

Lee said...

Sorry you had an ailment yesterday keeping you from corporate worship :( Hope you're feeling MUCH better now.

A week ago we were headed to church but it was raining pretty heavily when we left and there were two accidents with backup with a few miles and WE turned around and came home, but were able to watch our services on the internet, they started that a couple years ago and I'm so thankful, but it does let 'little excuses' turn into 'stay home' - not good when we're not to forsake the assembling of our brothers & sisters :)

Those fabrics look like a nice choice....looking forward to seeing your end product.

scraphappy said...

Great Christmas colors! White on read is such a nice change from the traditional version.

Heather said...

Your stitchery is just beautiful and the Holly Jolly will look fantastic in those prints! Thanks for that bit of Christmas cheer. I really need to start realizing that it's just around the corner... lol

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today. Hopefully I'll be able to come back and see your projects all finished soon! :o)

Paula said...

I love your stitchery~ it looks so pretty on the red!
Thanks for stopping by my blog and saying howdy- please visit me again amytime!