Wednesday, November 09, 2011

two finishes and a close third . . .

Todd went in on shift today so I got my giddy-up off the couch and put my workspace together and trimmed down my Christmas Star table topper, cut and pressed my binding and got it stitched onto my topper!

This was the perfect opportunity for me to use for the first time, the Wonder Clips I'd won at my last guild meeting. I had 25 clips and I figured my table topper was the perfect size to use them and use them all (and not need any more).

They went on really nicely -- and it was so much easier than the whole "clipping" action with the clips I typically use.

The open nicely and hold securely. I was really pleased with them. I got it clipped into place and ready to sew just as Jocelyn arrived! Since I was working on a Christmas topper ... and since I'd gone through my case of Christmas DVDs last night, I was really in the mood to put in a Christmas movie. Don't judge! LOL! I put in Elf, one of our family's favorites, and look what I ended up with . . .

A FINISH! (Finally.) Whew - that feels good.

I love this again -- I think it's beautiful and I can't wait to be able to use this in another couple of weeks!

And while I was stitching and stitching, Joc was busy, too . . .

She got her canvas covered with some pretty fabric (tacked down with hot glue) and then got her "E" on there to trace.

Once the E was traced onto the fabric, she went to work moving the buttons ever from her template to the real thing, hot gluing as she went. Look at that face of concentration!

Halfway finished -- it's looking good, Jocelyn!

Yay! A finish for Joc, too! Isn't she just beautiful? I didn't need so many pictures of the E, but I love my sweet Jocey!

Here's a closeup of the E -- this was really inexpensive and fun, as well as fairly simple and fast. She made her E big enough to fill most of the canvas, so I think she's not going to adorn it with flowers or anything.

I think it looks great just as it is! Ellie will love having this on her wall. For sure!

And the close third? Ummm, well that would be these no-bake cookies I made after lunch this afternoon.

We finished cooking them ... and worked very hard to not finish them off, too boot!

It was a happy day!

:)

15 left a comment . . .:

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

I love watching Elf! It's such a fun movie. Looks like you both had a productive day.

Connie said...

Congrats on a beautiful finish, it looks wonderful! Joc seems to really enjoy gluing the buttons on her letter - looks beautiful too! Someone recently said if you burn yourself to put mustard on it....handy to know with a glue gun.

Alycia said...

Congrats on the binding. The E is very cool!

Love Bears All Things said...

I love that topper and would love to have a copy of the pattern...I love the choice of colors you made, too. Those clips: I've been using pins but I put some of those clips on my Christmas wish list...I've not had any of those cookies in a while...maybe the Princess would like to make some.
The wall hanging Jocelyn made is cute...don't you just love doing crafts with the girls in your family.
Mama Bear

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Great finish! This topper is lovely - nice colors and pattern. And time with J while working on E.

Paula said...

I also finished my topper. The twin to your's. LOL!
Your daughter is beautiful. Love the "E".
Now about those cookies.... I almost ate the picture.
Enjoy!
Hugs

Pat said...

Your topper looks terrific and what a cute E your daughter made!

Mary said...

I've seen those clips, might have to get me some of those sometime. great Finish.

Sarah said...

Joc's button design is gorgeous - love the graduated size of the buttons for the flourish on the left. I am ignoring your love of Christmas in November ;)

Lee Young said...

Two beauties: the topper and Joc :) indeed a happy day! I have to laugh about the no-bakes as they didn't appeal to me (they will later) as I'd just finished eating a banana and 2 individual pkts of leftover candy corn and still had the icky-sticky-sweetness in my mouth. I loved them as a kid and remember making them. Have a great evening.

Kirsten- The Foreign Domestic said...

I love that "E" Joc did and those no bake cookies wouldn't have stood a chance if I were there :). I'm glad it was a happy day!

Deanna said...

Mmmm...No bake cookies! Yum!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Love your wonderful table topper...so festive! And the button letters are such a fun idea! Thanks so much for the vote for my pumpkins! Hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Momof3girls said...

Your table topper is very pretty. Love the pink button E. Elf is so stupid that it's funny. I enjoy watching it with my youngest daughter. The rest of the family can't stand it.

Sue said...

What fun you had! No bake cookies(we call them cocoa oatmeal cookies) are a family favorite for decades! :)