Friday, November 04, 2011

stitching and sketching . . .

I finished up everything but the French knots on this little guy yesterday. The more I stitched on him, the more I got to thinking about what I was going to do with this little grouping of stitcheries.

Since I'd decided to do the red fabric and the white embroidery, I thought it would be pretty offset with white squares. But with only seven blocks (I discarded the idea of pairing these up with the FQSQA blocks), it wasn't coming out nicely for me.

So I opened up EQ and started playing around with format. One thing led to another and this is what I came up with . . .

The red blocks with the hearts represent six of the stitcheries. The green block in the center I'll do the Christmas tree (which was week 5) on the green in white. And then I'll do green blocks on the four corners as well.

The only problem with this layout is that it leaves me with two red squares and the four corners without a stitchery design. Rut roh! So of course, I figured I'd pull out paper and pencil and see if I couldn't come up with something that might work. Of course, I didn't yet know what block seven was going to be, so it's a little dangerous doing all this conjuring work, but I'm a "live by the seat of your pants" kinda gal.

These are what I scratched out:

I love holly (almost as much as pumpkins), and the three-sprig of holly always makes me think of the Trinity.

I figured the holly would be pretty in the four corners, rotated and flipped appropriately.

Then the little melted down candle in the candle stand. This makes me think of Beauty and the Beast. And so I added a little holly. :)

I have the corner markings in there so none of my drawings would be larger than the drawings already done in the CSA. All the same, I may shrink this one down just a tad -- maybe by ten percent? Maybe a little more. I'll play with it.

Then lastly I did the church bells. And I know she's got words in all of hers, but I think if I mix these up nicely and perhaps take the words out of one or two of hers, it'll be okay

And I incorporated the snowflake things in all of the ones I drew. (They're really sparks in the candle drawing.) I'm not so sure about the lines on the bells -- I may have to do something a little different -- they make me too mindful of Charlie Brown!

I do have a backup idea for a drawing in the event that the week seven stitchery is too similar to anything I've done -- I'll add in a candy cane pairing (with a little branch of holly, no doubt). Fun stuff!

And speaking of fun stuff, the weather was right today for one of these . . .

Apple pie! And not just any ol' apple pie, but apple pie made with apples off our very own tree! Who cares what we have for dinner when there's apple pie -- with whipped cream *and/or* vanilla ice cream -- for dessert?!?

Joie de vivre!

:)

5 left a comment . . .:

Cathy said...

All those stitchery designs are great! You're really moving along quickly on those. I like your idea for setting them. What is the finished size going to be? And the apple pie............... next to pumpkin pie, my favourite. Looks quite yummy, and you're right, who needs supper when you can have pie. I think would go for the vanilla ice cream.

Mary said...

Awesome sketches! Apple pie is good for breakfast too. Have a great Friday!

Paula said...

Wow! Awesome sketches. Next thing we know you will be a famous designer. Your lay out looks very nice.
Apple pie is good for any meal. Once you put ice cream on it you almost have all the food groups covered! LOL!
Can't wait to see your finished quilt.
Hugs

Barbara F. said...

I love your designs! I wish I lived closer so I could come for tutorials. Your apple pie looks beautiful, and I am sure tastes even better. Yum, I love it served warm. xo

Brita said...

Love those little stitcheries, beautiful! The candle is my fave of the three ideas you have. An angel might work, as well. Looks like you're having fun, and deserve the yummy pie!