Monday, March 05, 2012

design wall stall . . .

My design wall hasn't changed (except that I'm back to the RV design vinyl table cloth, dropped from a top bunk, instead of the actual design wall that's pictured from the retreat).  It's kind of hard to do much of anything with a machine out of commission!  So I've still got the DWQ waiting to be backed, batted and quilted.  I know what I'm going to do with that, so it should be easy.
And I've got MOC quilt that I'm still lap quilting.  nine blocks down, seven to finish.  I need to start thinking of a layout for these blocks.
When I threw them up on the board, it was just to get them up there, not with any thought of placement.  I definitely do NOT want to keep them the way they're shown!  And I think I need to redistribute the four corners, too.  I think the two blocks with the star points need to go on diagonal from each other.

Joc is going to let me borrow her machine this week and I hope to fussy cut these dinosaurs, put them on blocks, and stitch together a top real quickly for little man.
I can hardly believe he'll be two, in ONE week!!  He needs a big boy quilt.  Luckily we're having his birthday party on the 17th, so I've got a little time.  I really do think I can pull this off.  LOL!  So, that's what is *still* hanging around on my design wall . . . head on over to Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times to see who's got what this Monday morning!

Back to the home front, we had a fun weekend.  On Saturday, Ellie made her very first visit to Camp MACOBA and Neesey and Paw-paw's home!  Jason was helping Todd set up some cameras and while the two men worked on men stuff, Joc and Ellie and I worked on plans for the big Sip & See event.
Isn't she a little doll baby?!?  She makes the best noises, too!  I love holding her little squishy self!  Anyway, we had fun perusing through my tea party board on Pinterest and picking out dainties and making plans.  Well, Joc and I had fun . . .
Ellie found the whole process a little boring.  She's young -- there's time to train her up in the ways of tea parties!  Joc and I also took Ellie for her very first golf cart ride.  She was not impressed.  And since I was driving the cart, there are no pictures to document this event.  It may be just as well!

For lunch I made one of our family's favorites . . . Italian Loaf Rustica -- or Double-Crust Pizza as we fondly refer to it -- with marinara sauce.
To go with it, I made a quick and easy (and VERY tasty) Marinated Greek Salad, which was a recipe from the retreat (I told you they fed us VERY well at retreat).  Yummy combo!  And then sometime after lunch, James, Kim and Sawyer joined us for a little while.  After all the worry on Friday with the storms, it was so nice to have my sweet family all in one place, all together!

And of course, Sawyer, Paw-paw and I also went for the golf cart ride.  And of course, Sawyer went right for the driver's seat!
Oh he's such a darling fellow!  And he sure does love being outdoors!

On my final note for today, here's Ellie's sweet seven weeks photo.  It's been such fun to watch her growth from week to week in these pictures.
It tickles me to no end to see her fill out and grow long.  And those very piercing eyes -- she's got such an intent gaze!  They are still very dark blue, but I really wonder if they won't turn brown.  Time will tell!

That's it for me today.  Joc's birthday is Wednesday (we did a small family celebration yesterday, which I'll share later), Kim's is next Sunday, and Sawyer's is next Monday.  And my folks are coming into town the following weekend -- yay!  Busy, busy, busy!

Happy Monday!

:)

14 left a comment . . .:

Mary said...

Ellie is just so cute. What a great visit you had. I hope you get to start machine sewing again soon!

Kathie said...

adorable baby pictures. Hope your sewing machine is fixed quickly, how frustrating.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

A fun filled, cheerful post - obviously being with family after the storm warmed your soul. My she is growing - love those little shoes.

Janet O. said...

At least if something has to be "stuck" on your design wall, it is something pretty. : )
Enjoy your family time!

Cathy said...

Ellie is just the sweetest ever. And she'll get on board with tea parties with her Neesey. And another thing you and I have in common, my Becca's birthday is March 6, tomorrow. She'll be 26....... how did that happen so fast???

Jean said...

doze cheekies and turkey wegs...(sigh)... I got to see my baby last night for our weekly call.

I hope you get your machine fixed soon. it's not fun to have a broken machine.

What's a sip and see? You need to try those lemon brownies. Those rock with some tea and are soooo easy! Also have a few tea sandwich ideas.

kwiltnkats said...

You are a busy gal. Good too be busy...as long as they are the right kind of busy (wink)! I'll have to admit that your post brougt a growl out of my tummy. Does your mostly orange/brown project have any other brown coming in? Seems as if the brown really makes itself known. Glad your family is safe. Sandi

Mary said...

The Dark Brown Blocks attract your eye on the corners. Could you put them in the center and frame them with some lighter color to tone them down? Maybe Brown sashing would help too. Glad the storms have calmed down. Enjoy the family Birthday time!

Editfolt said...

Do you have a lot of business. Very nice design of the wall of the blue blanket. Ellie is a beautiful big girl! :)

Sarah said...

Sounds like a fantastic weekend (not including friday!). I have resisted pinterest for a very long time but your tea board may have pushed me over the edge. So many fancies to check out another day :)

I'm not sure about chaning the purple corners for MOC - I read the current photo that the "greens" are kittycorner as are the "whites." I agree with your star points needing to be kittycorner but maybe it's half a dozen of one or just the colors of the photo?

Michelle May said...

What a little snuggle bunny Ellie is! Hope your machine starts being good again soon!

AnnieO said...

Having no sewing machine certainly does hamper progress but gives you time to nail down the final layouts :) Glad you're having a lot of quality time with the littles and of course your own offspring :) Enjoy all the celebrating!

Connie said...

What wonderful family photos, you are really enjoying your grandchildren....wow a birthday coming soon!

Bonnie said...

I think a cute baby trumps a quilt picture any day! Love the little onesie that says how many weeks. Too, too, cute. Of course she is outshining the onesie. I love the dinosaur print... can't wait to see what you create from it. Hopefully your sewing machine will finish with its spa week(s) and come home where it belongs!