Thursday, March 01, 2012

newfo . . . ufo . . .

I do have one more project that got worked on at retreat that I haven't shown yet.  It's my February UFO ... the DWQ aka the dreaded darling wedding quilt! 
I don't why it's taken me so LONG to put it together.  Once I got focused on it (and took ALL my other distractions, projects and fabrics back out to the car - seriously) it went together fairly quickly, though not without pain!  But I was bound and determined to come back with it finished ... and I'd promised Joc it was a priority, too!
The problems came because I am not the one who put together all of the original blocks -- I had some help getting them ready for Joc's wedding, and one of my helpers was not a quilter.  And while I *so* appreciate the help, it meant a lot of trimming at the end.  And signatures were already on the blocks so I had to be *very* careful as to where I trimmed.  Not all the blocks line up exactly, but I think if you're not inspecting too closely (stop inspecting closely!) it's not too bad AND the overall design looks terrific!  I took it to Jocelyn's on Monday for her and Jason to see ... I just realized that this was their guest book and they'd never seen it!  LOL!! 

I'll link this one up to the Patchwork Times UFO linky!   For March, Judy drew #8 which for me will be putting one of my Christmas blocks into a feathered star. 
It's such a tedious -- but beautiful -- block.  I'm glad I broke the quilt down into five blocks instead of listing the whole thing for a single month.  I really want to take my time and keep my piecing precise and point-sharp.

My NewFO for this month wasn't on my original list, but that's part of the point, right?!   Haha!  I'd seen a lot of swoon blocks out and about on blogland and loved the look.  When I was gifted 1/2 a charm pack of Little Apples from Joy, over at Joy & Comfort (from a giveaway she won at Cat Patches!), I thought (and still do) it would be the perfect pairing with the swoon block!
I found a GREAT technique for creating HST that was perfect for this pairing of block and charm square fabrics.  It involves putting right sides together of your squares and stitching a 1/4" seam around the outside of the square ... then cutting it on both diagonals.  Christina had found a video of the method over at The Missouri Star Quilt Company. In her guest tutorial, she walks through the process (with pictures) and provides a chart for square sizes to HST sizes over at Whipup.  It's worth checking out. 
One other thing that helped me a LOT with this block was taking a  photo of it laid out, before I started stitching.  Because direction and placement was SO important to the final look of the block, I had the picture to look back to ... and since I was chain piecing, it was all the more important!  Oh -- and since I was sitting by the door and at one point all my squares got blown all over the place . . . well, you understand why my picture was so valuable then!  I'm linking this one up to Barbara's Cat Patches NewFO link for the month!

So it was a good month for UFOs and NewFOs, although I'm sad to admit that my FMQ challenge to make it to the plate.  Ah well -- even though we got an extra day in February, it was still a short month!  I'm pleased with what I did get finished -- I felt uber-productive in the month of love!

Speaking of love, today is an Ellie day!  Hooray for me!!  

:)

17 left a comment . . .:

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Denise,that is one of the best tutorials I have seen on making HST. Thanks!

Barb said...

I will have to check out that video. Loved the quilt and all of your squares.

Gmama Jane said...

I "discovered" Missouri Quilt Co. videos last month!! Aren't they wonderful?? So informative and easy to understand. I Love them!! I saw that technique as well but haven't tried it yet. I Love your Swoon block!! I wasn't too excited over the design but I love your fabric choices which makes me like it a little better.
Enjoy Ellie!!
Jane

Teresa in Music City said...

Have fun with Ellie today!!! I love your DWQ idea and it looks great! Our son is getting married in April and I may *borrow* the idea. And I love your Swoon block - it is the prettiest one I've seen out there. Smart to use the picture!!!

Barbara said...

Very pretty projects, Denise. Thanks for sharing.

Jean said...

OOH, I like that HST tute... I would think that would be much more accurate.

You made AWESOME progress on all your UFOs/projects! wow!

Janet O. said...

The DWQ is beautiful--and you are so funny.
Love that feathered Star!
The Swoon block looks great--I haven't heard all the buzz connected with this block, apparently. Yours is the only one I've seen.
I posted my link to my Free Motion Quilt Challenge project minutes before midnight. Nothing like procrastination. : )

Cathy said...

You did get a lot accomplished. ANd the wedding quilt is lovely, because it is filled and made with love. Thanks for the HST link. I've "pinned" it.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, pretties all over the place! Love the Christmas feather star block. I learned the hard way about photo'ing incase of rearrangments. Just super, I love it all.

Connie said...

It looks like you will be busy! Your quilt is so beautiful and I bet Jocelyn and Jason loved it!

Rachel's Quilts said...

Great projects. Your Swoon block is very nice and it must feel good to have the wedding quilt top done.
Enjoy your day with Ellie.

Mary said...

I've seen the swoon block all over. I heard about that method of making HST's at our Guild tip sharing last month. I'll have to watch the video. Hard to believe it's MARCH already. That means Spring is closer, right? I have the feathered star on my LIST this year. Enjoy your Ellie, Sawyer and Jocelyn Day!

Dirt Road Quilter said...

My you have been a busy girl! I am impressed. That wedding quilt is just lovely and I love the addition of the signatures! I make hst that way too. I saw saw the viseo when they posted it and started making them right away. Love it! Love your other blocks as well, but am intimidated by the feathered star. It's on my 'to do' list.

Sarah said...

I'm sure Joc was thrilled to see her quilt coming together! Will you need to add borders to it?

I also love that feathered star (they are on my newFO list this year) and would love a tutorial if you have time...

Kate said...

The wedding quilt is beautiful. If it passes the "won't see it when riding by on a horse test", you shouldn't worry if the seams aren't perfect.

Love your Swoon block. I want to make one of those too. Thanks for sharing the HST tip. I'll have to give that one a try.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a wonderful memory quilt! I'm sure they will treasure it! Congrats on the finish!

Quilt Hollow said...

Ive seen that tutorial! I thought it was nifty. Thete are so many ways to make them. Love your swoon btw.