Saturday, March 31, 2012

fighting the odds . . .

I've not been very prolific this past week.  Not on my blog or my sewing machine.  Neither are working the way they are supposed to work and it's very *frustrating*.  I've not been able to finish up my March UFO or start any NewFOs ... ugh!!  And I'm about ready to shoot my lap top and put it out of my misery.  Yes.  That's exactly what I meant to say.  LOL!!  And I have backed everything up, so I don't feel the need to watch my tongue.  :)  I'm not sure if it's all my laptop's fault ... our internet is driving me nuts, too.  But mostly my computer. Ergh. 

I have been busy.  I've spent a good portion of this past week working on women's ministry stuff, which has me in my element!  The church we're with right now is so new that they've never had a women's ministry ... and they are ripe and ready for one.  It's so exciting!  After a lot of prayer and thought and study, here's what I've come up with as our name . . . 
James helped me with the graphic.  Didn't he do a great job?!  I swear, he's a whiz.  It took him less than ten minutes.  He's really got quite a natural gifting for it!

I'm real excited to see where our women's ministry is going to GLOW . . . !!  I'm planning through August right now and hope to have a team together soon to begin planning for a full year, kicking off in September.  We're going to keep the summer light -- with a monthly fun meeting nights, some community mission projects, etc., and perhaps even a simple GLOW-Getaway . . . and then go hardcore come the fall!

We've got two groups up here fishing at the ponds today.  Rather, we had one this morning and then one came in this afternoon, just as the first one was leaving.  Great timing for them both.  The fish are biting today, too.  The first group caught some very fat and sassy shell crackers!
I even got a hand in -- literally -- by holding onto one so the young man who'd caught it good get his hook out.  He didn't want to touch the fish, bless his heart!  
I miss fishing ... I used to be able to go with Todd, but I've not been since the accident.  Perhaps sometime soon.  There's something very soothing about fishing and all the activities that go with it!

Speaking of the accident, I had a CT scan done of my ankle this past week and I go in Monday for another post-op visit.  I'm feeling rather resigned about the whole thing.  We got heel inserts for my shoes which have definitely helped alleviate the pain from walking on the screw heads.  But there's still a lot of residual pain and swelling and I feel very limited in not just what I can do, but how much I can (or rather, can't) do.  Like keeping up with a two-year-old.  Gracious!  I try not to dwell on it too much because it mires me down pretty quickly, and feeling that way does NOT suit me at all!  Which is also why I've not talked about it a whole lot.  It didn't hurt as much when I was in a cast and not walking on it.  LOL!!!  :)  We'll see what the doc has to say about it on Monday.

And seeing as how it's Foto Finish Saturday and the theme for this week is "Flowers" *and* I just happened to grab a couple shots while I was out and about the camp this morning, here's my offering:
I've never seen this wild flower before so I can't tell you what it is.  They were not in bloom a couple of days ago, because I saw the plant and thought how much it looked like a dandelion.  But it's obviously not -- it's purple!!  Check out other Foto Finish offering over at Cat Patches!

:)

14 left a comment . . .:

Barbara F. said...

Hi Denise! I haven't posted in almost a week, not much blogworthy stuff going on around here. I can now drive in the day time so I was out and about with dr. appointments and errands. I wish I lived close by to join GLOW. I love the name and it sounds like it is going to be a huge success. Lucky ladies to have you, and I know, you are going to say you are the lucky one!((hugs)) xo

Kate said...

I can so sympathize with the computer issue stuff. I thought they had saved my files from the old computer, but when I opened the drive it was completely empty. So be thankful you are all backed up, wish I had been!

Teresa in Music City said...

I wish you all the best with GLOW! It sounds like a wonderful program and you are having fun already! Those boys look like they are right in their element :*) And sending healing prayers your way for your injuries!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You have other wonderful distractions - so not to worry about UFOs or NewFos. And take yourself into your 'Glow' and understand that your surgery is a time healer - it will be a while, so don't push it.

Connie said...

Sorry to hear you are still having so much pain with your foot Denise, hope you get some good news from the Doctor. Your Glow graphic is perfect and it sounds like you have been very busy. Good luck with your computer too!

Janet O. said...

Had to giggle at the mental image of your women's ministry going "hard core" in the fall. I could see you all in leather jackets on your Harleys (which is basically describing my friend who is anything but hard core). Anyway, the "GLOW" name and logo are great!

Barbara said...

Sorry your foot is still giving you trouble. We just don't heal as quickly as we used to, do we? Deep breath. Relax and give yourself some time to heal and enjoy those grand babies. I'm glad you found time to link up your flowers to Foto Finish.

armyfamilyok said...

I love wildflowers. I have them growing in the flowerbed in front of my house. They have so much character and that shows in this photo!!

Carol said...

I'm so sorry your foot/ankle still hurts. Praying for it, for doc-wisdom, and for the brand-spanking-new women's ministry at your new church. :) May blessings abound!

Lee said...

I love, love, love your women's group name and what the acronym stands for! And I have to say, I'm glad to hear you 'grumble' ;) just a wee bit because I know you are still here in an earthly body and well, we just can't be perfect...yet, and now I can stand with Carol in praying for you over your foot and all that goes with it. Hugs.

Gmama Jane said...

Oh, Denise, the name GLOW is perfect! You can do so much with it! I'm sure those women will be so blessed with you as their leader. You have such a gift with leading and people skills. I hate that you are not physically up to doing many of the things you enjoy doing due to the accident. However, you are very lucky to be alive so we can rejoice you didn't have even more severe injuries. You already know God has a purpose and a plan for it all even the accident and your resulting limitations. You are a jewel my friend! Please Please don't let me forget Guild meeting this month!
Blessings
Jane

Ellen said...

I am sorry to hear that you are still having pain - hopefully it will resolve with time. It does sound like you have plenty of wonderful distractions going on - love the pictures of the kids with fish!!

Jean said...

Hugs! The flowers are Ajuga. we had those growing in our yard as a ground cover.

GLOW is great, I can see so many activities you can incorporate into that.

So sorry to hear about the pain. I understand the feelings about limitations. I'm at that point with my knees and it makes me mopey. And I don't like mopey.

Sarah said...

Well phoey, I was hoping the lack of foot commentary meant it was getting better. I certainly hope the doc had something good to say.

Love the name of your new ministry. You're always full of energy and ideas and I think everything will go extremly well. Is this something you will always be in charge of (while at this church) or do you just get her going and then pass it to another leader?